Norwegian version of this page

Study and research abroad

All PhD candidates are encouraged to visit relevant foreign educational institutions at least once. The organized research training can be adapted so that PhD candidates can spend at least six months abroad in connection with their PhD work. PhD candidates have the opportunity to incorporate international research courses and other courses into the educational component.

Funding for overseas research stays

Overseas stays must be agreed explicitly in the project description that forms part of the application for admission, but it is still possible to apply later through the following sources:

Exchange agreements

Exchange agreements with other universities are organized for extended stays. The agreements normally cover research trips and courses, and often provide practical and financial benefits compared with ordinary guest researcher stays.

See a list of exchange agreements for PhD candidates

Travel through Erasmus+

All PhD candidates can undertake a student exchange through Erasmus and receive a grant in the same way as other students. The minimum duration of such stays is three months, and the faculty or department you are affiliated with must have an exchange agreement for PhD candidates with the overseas educational institution.

See a list of Erasmus agreements for PhD candidates

If you are employed as a doctoral research fellow at the University of Oslo, you can also apply for Erasmus funding to teach at another university or for training or participation in courses.

The application procedures for PhD exchanges may be different than for students at a lower level. You should therefore contact [the PhD programme's administration] at an early stage if you are considering taking advantage of an exchange agreement.

Joint supervision agreements

A joint supervision agreement, also known as a cotutelle, normally entails admission to the PhD programme and supervision at two institutions. The affiliation with the institutions will generally be stipulated in the thesis and diploma when the degree is awarded. Contact your department.

Guidelines for joint supervision agreements (UiO)

Published Apr. 11, 2016 3:16 PM - Last modified July 13, 2021 2:09 PM