Cross Section Polishing
The Micro and Nanotechnology Laboratory at the University of Oslo (UiO MiNaLab) is equipped with a JEOL IB-19520CCP Cross Section Polisher (CCP), installed in 2017, which is suitable for the preparation of pristine cross-sections of a specimen for analytical scanning electron microscopy (SEM-EDS), electron probe microanalysis (EPMA), or scanning probe microscopy (SPM).
Cross-sections of layered materials, metals, ceramics, porous materials or even plastics and paper can be prepared with little roughness over a wide area (larger than 500μm). Thermal damage of heat-sensitive materials (e.g., low melting point metals and composite materials) can be reduced by cooling the specimen with liquid nitrogen during processing. A transfer vessel allows vacuum transfer of the polished sample to our JEOL IT-300 SEM without exposure to air.
- Accelerating voltage: 2 to 8 kV.
- Ion beam width: 500 μm (FWHM).
- Milling speed: 500 μm/h (accelerating voltage 8kV; Si; 100 μm from edge).
- Maximum specimen size: 11 mm (W) x 8 mm (L) x 3 mm (T).
- Specimen holder ultimate cooling temperature: – 120 oC or less.
- Specimen cooling hold time: 8 h or more.
- Air isolation system: transfer vessel.
The cross section polisher is available for rent with or without an operator. Prices are in Norwegian kroner (NOK) excl. VAT. All prices are subject to change.
|User Category||Price without operator/hour||Price with operator/hour|
|Academia||100 NOK||850 NOK|
|Start-up||125 NOK||1225 NOK|
|Industry||150 NOK||1250 NOK|
The reduced fees for start-up companies are available for the first 24 months after start-up. Training costs are currently covered by NorFab.