The Geology building - History and facts
The Department of Geosciences, University of Oslo is located in the Geology building, an educational building that houses several auditoriums, seminar rooms, laboratories and other infrastructure, computer labs and offices.
The spiral staircase in the entrance hall, Geology building, Dep. of Geosciences. Photo: GK Tjoflot, UiO
The Geology building located at Campus at Blindern of the University of Oslo with the other natural sciences buildings, within walking distance.
The Geology building is an educational building from 1957. The officially opening date was February 12 1958. The Geology building had originally two wings when it was new. In the 1970s there came more students and it was necessary to build a new wing. The third wing to the east was built in 1985 - 1986.
Mosaic of Norwegian building stones
The floor in the entrance hall of the building has an exceptionally fine mosaic with different kinds of stones, from marble, schist, soapstone, gneiss and granite.
The mosaic contains of a total of 139 types of stones from all over Norway. The mosaic gives a interesting view of Norwegian building stones with colours, texture and finish. Learn more about where the stones originally comes from from on this poster (pdf).
The floor mosaic is drawed of the architect Finn Bryn and made by AS Johs. Grønseth & Co. See details of the mosaic in the picture below.
The Geology building, some facts:
Year of construcion:
1955 - 1957
Finn Bryn (about the architect in Norwegian, see Norsk Biografisk Leksikon)
Sem Sælands vei 1