The TIMS U-Pb Isotope Geology Laboratory at The Department of Geosciences, University of Oslo is used in a range of research fields in Geology and subject areas of Earth Science. Among others, the following research directions listed below are being pursued currently.
Currently research directions:
- Chronostratigraphy, volcanic activity and past climate change, volcanic activity and mass extinctions.
- Large igneous provinces, emplacement dynamics and magma fluxes.
- Magmatism and tectonics (?), early crustal evolution.
- Crustal accretion at continental margins.
- Evolution of the Caledonian orogeny.
- Break-up of Pangea and basin development (North Atlantic region).
- Metamorphic rates and processes.
Examples of previously and ongoing research:
- The Orogeny of the Caledonides, by Prof. Fernando Corfu.
- Research projects at The Centre for Earth Evolution and Dynamics (CEED).