NordCO2 joint Course: Mechanisms for CO2 Activation
The NordCO2 consortium, which is lead by Hylleraas PI Kathrin H. Hopmann, will organize a course on mechanisms for CO2 activation. Course organizers are Hylleraas members Ainara Nova and Kathrin H. Hopmann.
Reaction mechanisms for reactions where CO2 is reduced or incorporated or converted to CO to provide relevant products such as formic acid, methanol, carboxylic acids, carbonates, or carbamates. Mostly organometallic reactions but also organic, immobilized homogeneous or heterogeneous systems.
Location and Duration
Sept 12th to 14th 2018 (2.5 days), UiT, campus Tromsø, Norway.
By August 31st . You can registrer here.
- The course is open for everyone and has no fee, but participants that are not part of NordCO2 have to cover their own travel and stay.
- Maximum 20 participants.
- Participants are expected to have a general knowledge in organic chemistry about concepts related to reactivity (e.g. oxidation/reduction, nucleophile, acid/base) and bonding (e.g. orbitals, covalent bonds).
Tentative list of Teachers
- Timo Repo, Helsinki University, Finland
- Troels Skrydstrup, Aarhus University, Denmark
- Egill Skúlason, University of Iceland, Iceland
- Sascha Ott, Uppsala University, Sweden
- Ainara Nova, University of Oslo, Norway
- Kathrin H. Hopmann, University of Tromsø, Norway
- Annette Bayer, University of Tromsø, Norway
Wednesday, September 12
12:00 - 14:00 Session 1: Introduction to CO2 chemistry such as thermodynamics/coordination mode (1½ h lecture, ½h exercises). Teachers: Annette Bayer, Ainara Nova
14:00 - 14:30 Break (Coffee + Sandwiches will be served)
14:30 - 17:00 Session 2: CO2 + H2 to formic acid and methanol (1½ h lecture, 15 min break, 45 min exercises). Teacher: Ainara Nova
Thursday, September 13
09:00 - 11:30 Session 3: Carboxylation reactions, R-X + CO2 -> R-CO2H or R-CO2R and unsaturated substrates (1:45 h lecture, 45 min exercises). Teachers: Annette Bayer, Kathrin Hopmann
11:30 - 12:30 Break (Coffee + Sandwiches will be served)
12:30 - 15:30 Session 4: CO2 + epoxides or aziridines to cyclic carbonates or carbamates (polycarbonates or carbamates) (1:45 h lecture, 15 min break, 1h exercises). Teacher: Timo Repo
15:45 – 17:00 Session 5: Students work with own CO2 mechanism (for exam) + unfinished exercises. Teachers: Kathrin Hopmann, +NN
Friday, September 14
09:00 - 11:00 Session 6: CO2 + Energy to CO (1.5 h lecture, ½h exercises). Teacher: Troels Skrydstrup
11:00 - 12:00 Break (Coffee + Sandwiches will be served)
12:00 - 14:00 Session 7: Heterogeneous CO2 conversion (1.5 h lecture, ½h exercises). Teacher: Egill Skúlason
14:15 – 16:15 Session 8: Experimental and computational techniques to study mechanisms with CO2 (2 x 45 min lecture). Teachers: Sascha Ott, Kathrin Hopmann
Oral Skype presentation by each student with verdict passed/not-passed. Date will be announced.