Intensive course - Planetary Physics and Global Tectonics
26 - 30 October 2020 we invite you to join an online, intensive DEEP course (5 ECTS) to learn about planetary physics and global tectonics. Stephanie Werner is responsible for the course, and she invites seven young researchers from CEED to teach: Mathew Domeier, Tobias Rolf, Maëlis Arnould, Fabio Crameri, Valentina Magni, Grace Shephard and Agnes Kiraly.
The course will give an introduction to the physics and tectonic processes that govern the properties and evolution of the Earth and other planets.
After completing this course you will obtain a fundamental knowledge of:
- how the Earth and planets in the Solar System form, and how this compares to other planetary systems.
- planetary accretion and planetary evolution and how it is fundamental for describing the dynamics and properties of the Earth and planets.
- accretion, differentiation and the planets’ heat budget.
- planetary surfaces, the timing and patterns of (plate) tectonics.
- how Earth’s figure, gravity field, rotation, mantle convection and tidal interaction modify and complicate the reconstructed movements on the planet’s surface.
- how numerical modelling can be used for reconstructing planet’s structure and evolution.
Time and place
The course is taught intensively online 26 - 30 October 2020 through Zoom. If possible, we will invite anyone who can and wishes to be present to join us for the week in Oslo.
The course is centered on a one week session (about 40 h). This includes lectures and practical.
Course schedule will be published later on.
Prior to the course
Prior to the course week the students will receive course material and prepare for an obligatory presentation on a given topic. Course literature will be pre-selected and accessible to course participants in due time prior to the course.
Obligatory presentation on a given topic during the course week. The presentation must be evaluated as approved in order to take the final exam.
Home exam to be delivered up to one month after the course week and within the semester.
For more information about the course please contact: email@example.com