Rebecca Emma Gray
My research interests are centred on population ecology, in particular the effect of environmental variability, climate and fishing on commercially important fish stocks within the North Atlantic, such as Barents Sea cod. I completed my PhD in 2015 at the University of Bergen, where my research focussed on the behaviour, ecology, and evolution of Barents Sea cod, as well as 19 other cod stocks that span the North Atlantic. I developed mechanistic modelling tools using Matlab to predict the effect of temperature on their behaviour, ecology and population dynamics. I subsequently spent one year as a postdoctoral fellow at Griffith University, where I developed statistical models to study the resilience of freshwater fish communities.
I started work at CEES on 31st October 2016 as a postdoctoral research fellow, working on the CoDINA (Cod Diet and food web dyNAmics) research project. This project is a collaboration between CEES (Joël Durant and Geir Ottersen), IMR, CEFAS, the University of Sheffield, and PINRO.
CoDINA - Cod: DIet and food web dyNAmics
CoDINA aims to increase the understanding of pelagic food web dynamics in sub-Arctic ecosystems. This we will do by studying the interaction between Barents Sea cod and its prey. We will examine the mechanisms generating predator-prey interactions to gain a deeper understanding of trophic connections in the Barents Sea. We are interested in how these may change within the annual cycle, between years and spatially as a consequence of dynamics internal to a single population or between populations and how the functionality is influenced by external pressures like climate and Fishing.
- Holt, Rebecca Emma; Bogstad, Bjarte; Durant, Joel Marcel; Dolgov, Andrey & Ottersen, Geir (2019). Barents Sea cod (Gadus morhua) diet composition: long-term interannual, seasonal, and ontogenetic patterns. ICES Journal of Marine Science. ISSN 1054-3139. 76(6), s 1641- 1652 . doi: 10.1093/icesjms/fsz082 Full text in Research Archive.
- Holt, Rebecca Emma; Brown, Christopher J.; Schlacher, Thomas A.; Sheldon, Fran; Balcombe, Stephen R. & Connolly, Rod M. (2017). Species traits and connectivity constrain stochastic community re-assembly. Scientific Reports. ISSN 2045-2322. 7(1) . doi: 10.1038/s41598-017-14774-2
- Holt, Rebecca Emma; Woods, P.J; Ferreira, A.S.A; Bardarson, H; Bonanomi, Sara; Boonstra, W.J; Butler, W.E; Diekert, Florian Klaus; Fouzai, Nadia; Holma, M; Kokkalis, Alexandros; Kvile, Kristina Øie; Macdonald, J.I; Malanski, Evandro; Nieminen, E; Ottosen, K.M.; Pedersen, M.W; Richter, Andries Peter; Rogers, Lauren; Romagnoni, Giovanni; Snickars, Martin; Törnroos, Anna; Weigel, Benjamin; Whittington, Jason & Yletyinen, Johanna (2017). Avoiding pitfalls in interdisciplinary education. Climate Research (CR). ISSN 0936-577X. 74(2), s 121- 129 . doi: 10.3354/cr01491
- Pedersen, Martin Wæver; Kokkalis, Alexandros; Bardarson, Hermann; Bonanomi, Sara; Boonstra, Wiebren; Butler, William E.; Diekert, Florian Klaus; Fouzai, Nadia; Holma, Maija Kristiina; Holt, Rebecca; Kvile, Kristina Øie; Nieminen, Emmi Elina; Ottosen, Katharina M.; Richter, Andries Peter; Rogers, Lauren; Romagnoni, Giovanni; Snickars, Martin; Törnroos, Anna; Weigel, Benjamin; Whittington, Jason; Woods, Pamela J.; Yletyinen, Johanna Katariina & Ferreira, Ana Sofia de Araujo (2016). Trends in marine climate change research in the Nordic region since the first IPCC report. Climatic Change. ISSN 0165-0009. 134(1), s 147- 161 . doi: 10.1007/s10584-015-1536-6
- Boonstra, Wiebren; Ottosen, Katharina M.; Ferreira, Ana Sofia de Araújo; Richter, Andries Peter; Rogers, Lauren; Pedersen, Martin Wæver; Kokkalis, Alexandros; Bárðarson, Hlynur; Bonanomi, Sara; Butler, William; Diekert, Florian Klaus; Fouzai, Nadia; Holma, Maija Kristiina; Holt, Rebecca; Kvile, Kristina Øie; Malanski, Evandro; Macdonald, Jed I.; Nieminen, Emmi Elina; Romagnoni, Giovanni; Snickars, Martin; Weigel, Benjamin; Woods, Pamela J.; Yletyinen, Johanna Katariina & Whittington, Jason (2015). What are the major global threats and impacts in marine environments? Investigating the contours of a shared perception among marine scientists from the bottom-up. Marine Policy. ISSN 0308-597X. 60, s 197- 201 . doi: 10.1016/j.marpol.2015.06.007
- Holt, Rebecca & Jørgensen, Christian (2015). Climate change in fish: Effects of respiratory constraints on optimal life history and behaviour. Biology Letters. ISSN 1744-9561. 11:20141032(2) . doi: 10.1098/rsbl.2014.1032
- Holt, Rebecca E. & Jørgensen, Christian (2014). Climate warming causes life-history evolution in a model for Atlantic cod (Gadus morhua). Conservation Physiology. ISSN 2051-1434. 2, s cou050 . doi: 10.1093/conphys/cou050 Full text in Research Archive.
- Holt, Rebecca Emma; Foggo, Andy; Neat, Francis C. & Howell, Kerry L. (2013). Distribution patterns and sexual segregation in chimaeras: Implications for Conservation and management.. ICES Journal of Marine Science. ISSN 1054-3139. 70, s 1198- 1205 . doi: 10.1093/icesjms/fst058
- Jørgensen, Christian & Holt, Rebecca (2013). Natural mortality: Its ecology, how it shapes fish life histories, and why it may be increased by fishing. Journal of Sea Research. ISSN 1385-1101. 75, s 8- 18 . doi: 10.1016/j.seares.2012.04.003 Full text in Research Archive.
- Howell, Kerry L.; Holt, Rebecca Emma; Endrino, I, P & Stewart, Heather (2011). When the species is also a habitat: comparing the predictively modelled distributions of Lophelia pertusa and the reef habitat it forms.. Biological Conservation. ISSN 0006-3207. 144, s 2656- 2665 . doi: 10.1016/j.biocon.2011.07.025
- Holt, Rebecca Emma; Durant, Joel Marcel; Ottersen, Geir & Bogstad, Bjarte (2017). Cod diet and food web dynamics: What can we learn from the past?.
- Holt, Rebecca Emma (2016). CoDINA: Cod DIet and food web dyNAmics.
- Holt, Rebecca (2015). Climate-Induced Evolution of the Behaviour and Life-History Strategies of Atlantic Cod (Gadus morhua): A Modelling Approach.
- Ross, Stine Dalmann; Holt, Rebecca Emma; Van Deurs, Mikael & Andersen, N, G (2014). How does prey quality affect life-history traits under different temperature regimes?.
- Jørgensen, Christian; Peck, MA; Antognarelli, F; Azzurro, E; Burrows, MT; Cheung, WWL; Cucco, A; Holt, Rebecca; Huebert, KB; Marras, S; McKenzie, D; Metcalfe, J; Perez-Ruzafa, A; Sinerchia, M; Steffensen, JF; Teal, LR & Domenici, P (2012). Conservation physiology of marine fishes: advancing the predictive capacity of models. Biology Letters. ISSN 1744-9561. 8(6), s 900- 903 . doi: 10.1098/rsbl.2012.0609