FISHCOM: Addressing uncertainty in FISHeries management in a zooplankton-fish COMmunity under humaninduced perturbations
About the project
In this project we address the uncertainties associated with the management of marine resources. The project is structured in three inter-connected work packages (WPs) and addresses the full bio-economic range from the lower trophic levels though commercially important fish up to human behavior.
In the first WP, we will investigate different management strategies accounting for uncertainty associated with harvesting at lower trophic levels and mass mortality events. We explore different management strategies for mitigation of economic loss due to mass mortality events at early life stages of fish.
Next we will explore possible consequences on fish stocks of harvesting at lower trophic levels using Krill and Calanus in the Barents Sea as study system. In the second WP, we will address the inherent uncertainty connected to choice of model structure.
By investigating yield-optimizing harvesting in a suite of different population and community models, we will be able to quantify the effect of model uncertainty on management scenarios.
In the third WP, we will develop better models for resource dynamics in bio-economic models to increase our understanding of the human response to a sudden shift in the marine ecosystem.
Finally, we will conduct an economic experiment, were we aim to better understand how the human response to sudden shifts depends on their own ability to prevent the shift
This Project is funded by the Research Council of Norway (RCN) (MARINFORSK)
UiO Project Number: 144648
01.03.2018 - 30.11.2021
- Leonie Anette Färber; Rob van Gemert; Øystein Langangen; Joel Marcel Durant & Ken Hasle Andersen (2020). Population variability under stressors is dependent on body mass growth and asymptotic body size. Royal Society Open Science. ISSN 2054-5703. 7, s 1- 11
- Joel Marcel Durant; Kotaro Ono; Nils Christian Stenseth & Øystein Langangen (2020). Nonlinearity in interspecific interactions in response to climate change: Cod and haddock as an example. Global Change Biology. ISSN 1354-1013. 26, s 5554- 5563
- Kotaro Ono; Øystein Langangen & Nils Christian Stenseth (2019). Improving risk assessments in conservation ecology. Nature Communications. ISSN 2041-1723. 10, s 1- 7
- Øystein Langangen; Leonie Anette Färber; Leif Christian Stige; Florian Klaus Diekert; Julia Maria Isis Barth; Michael Matschiner; Paul Ragnar Berg; Bastiaan Star; Nils Christian Stenseth; Sissel Jentoft & Joel Marcel Durant (2018). Ticket to spawn: Combining economic and genetic data to evaluate the effect of climate and demographic structure on spawning distribution in Atlantic cod. Global Change Biology. ISSN 1354-1013. 25, s 134- 143
- Florian Klaus Diekert & Kjell Arne Brekke (2019). Groups discipline resource use under scarcity.
- Florian Klaus Diekert; Timo Goeschl & Christian König (2019). The Nature of Experience.