Justin William Wells
My group webpage can be found here:
My current activities revolve around a common theme of condensed matter and semiconductor physics. The majority of the activities involve experimental surface physics techniques (photoemission spectroscopies: XPS, UPS, ARPES, spin-ARPES and PEEM, and related techniques AES, LEED, inverse photoemission and 4-probe transport). The majority of the activities are experimental, but analytical and computational methods are also used as required. Within the envelopes of “condensed matter physics” and “surface science”, the research activities are very broad. Recent and ongoing topics include: Quantum engineering in silicon; spin physics in topological insulators and quasi-2D materials; quasiparticle (electron-phonon and electron-magnon) formation in surfaces and interfaces; development of 4-probe methods; organic self-assembly of quantum wells; and organic and oxide semiconductors for photovoltaic applications. In 2018 I co-founded Center of Excellence (SFF) QuSpin at NTNU, where I have had primary responsibility for the experimental side of the activities.
Aside from my primary interests, I have small “hobby” projects which include; chemistry of COVID testing, chemotherapy and skin-cancer chemistry; graphene gated photo-sensors and commercial metal alloying, as well as an interest in restoring and developing lab instrumentation.
Many of my activities involve national and/or international collaboration, with important collaborations at NTNU, as well as in Universities in Bergen, Aarhus, Copenhagen, Lund, Gothenburg, Berlin, Basel, Zürich, London, Aberystwyth, Bristol, San Sebastian, Shanghai, Melbourne, Sydney, Brasilia, and several other places. In addition to University collaborations, there are important collaborations with a number of research institutes and companies (Sintef, Elkem, Newtec A/S and Focus GmbH).
- 2020 - Professor, Department of Physics, University of Oslo, Norway.
- 2017 -2021: Professor, Center for Quantum Spintronics & Department of Physics, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway.
- 2012 - 2017: Associate Professor, Department of Physics, NTNU, Trondheim, Norway.
- 2011 - 2012: Post-doctoral researcher at Lund University and MAXLab, Lund, Sweden.
- 2008 - 2011: Post-doctoral researcher, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway, Member of the group of Erik Wahlström.
- 2006 - 2008: Post-doctoral researcher at Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark, Member of the group of Professor Philip Hofmann.
- 2003 - 2006: Ph.D. Fellowship, Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark Supervisor: Professor Philip Hofmann.
- 2001-2003: Research Assistant at Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland.