- Computational physics and machine learning
- Neuroscience - nanoscale and mesoscale processes
- Nanoscale geological processes
- Statistical- and multi-scale phyiscs
- Dicipline based education research - Computational Science Education Research
My current teaching activity focuses on revitalizing the teaching of undergraduate science coursees by seamless integration of computational methods in order to give students an early contact with research and industrially relevant problems.
I am working actively to make student learning the focus of my teaching activities, employing for example personal response systems in my lectures, and introducing active teaching methods to my courses.
Higher education and employment history
I have significant experience in the industrialization of research, both from working several years in a high-tech start-up company, and from technical due dilligence evaluations. I have initiated and developed several large scale industrially financed research projects that have resulted in patented technologies.
- HMK Gold Medal for best phd-thesis in sciences, UiO, 1999
- Nansen prize for young researches, The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, 2001
- UiO Prize for excellent teaching environment, 2011
- Nokut's national prize for excellent teaching environment, 2012
- UiO Prize for excellent teaching environment, 2015
- National prize for excellence in education, Thon foundation, 2015