Publications in ResearchGate.
- Petroleum Geology
- Reservoir Geology
- Compaction, fluid flow and stress in sedimentary basins
- 2008 - present: Professor Emeritus, Department of Geosciences, University of Oslo.
- 1984 - 2008: Professor of Sedimentology and Petroleum Geology, Department of Geology/Geosciences, University of Oslo.
- 1998 autumn: Visiting Professor at the University of Bern and University of Newcastle, UK.
- 1994 Aug-Dec: Visiting Professor at Colorado School of Mines. Golden, Colorado, USA.
- 1981 - 82 & 1990 - 91 (1/2 yrs). Visiting Professor at University of California, Santa Barbara, USA.
- 1976 - 84: Professor of Petroleum Geology, Department of Geology, University of Bergen, Norway.
- 1971 - 76: Associate Professor in Sedimentology, University of Oslo.
- 1969 - 71: University Lecturer at Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda.
- 1966: Visiting research fellow (6 months) at the Sedimentology Research Laboratory, University of Reading, UK.
- 1965 - 69: Amanuensis (Lecturer), Department of Geology, University of Oslo.
- 1963 - 65: Research Assistant, Department of Geology, University of Oslo.
1974 Dr. Philos degree, University of Oslo.
1964 Cand Real (MSc) in Geology, University of Oslo.
- 2009 The Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters, Honorary Award.
- 2009 "Brøggerprisen” (the Brøgger Price), the Norwegian Geological Society.
- 2008 Appointed Member of The Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters/DKNVS.
- 2003 Received the Grover E. Murray Memorial Distinguished Educator Award for 2003 from the American Association of Petroleum Geologists.
- 2003 Boyd Visiting Lecturer at University of Texas, Austin, USA.
- 1999-2000 Appointed Distinguished Lecturer for a lecture tour of North America by the American Association of Petroleum Geologist.
- 1996-97 Appointed The Distinguished Lecturer for a lecture tour of Europe by the American Association of Petroleum Geologist.
- 1994 Best paper award from the American Chemical Soc. for the paper by Karlsen, D., Nedkvitne, T., Bjørlykke, K. & Larter S. (Geochemica et Cosmochemica Acta. 57, 3641-3659)
- 1992 Elected Honorary Fellow of The Geological Society of London.
- 1992 Awarded DGMK-Kolleg and invited by "Deusche Wissenschaftliche Gesellschaft für Erdøl, Erdgass und Kohle" to give a series of Honorary Lectures sponsered by this society at German Universities.
- 1991 Statoils Research Prize (Statoils Forskerpris), first year it was awarded.
- 1985 Member of the Norwegian Academy of Science and Letters/DNVA.
- 1970 The Reusch Medal for younger researchers, The Norwegian Gological Society.