Centre for Integrated Earth System Education – iEarth
iEarth is a consortium and Centre of Excellence in Education aiming to transform geoscience education in Norway. By redefining the national geoscience skills needs and then designing the optimum learning practices to deliver them, iEarth will ensure the next generation of Earth Scientists will help us meet the societal challenges we currently face.
The challenges posed by global environmental change and an increasing demand for Earth’s finite resources underscore the dependence of future civilization upon improved Earth System knowledge. In Norway, this dependence is further complicated by our dual ambition to be both a global energy supplier and a world leader in environmental management. Identifying and addressing these future challenges therefore requires new thinking about the modern role for geoscience in society, and a corresponding re-orientation of our geoscience education to deliver it.
iEarth is a centre including the geoscience education and research institutions at UiB, UiO, UiT and UNIS, which will work together to create a future-oriented and innovative learning environment. Together with students, we will focus on teaching methods, new technology, and education adapted to the future labour market.
iEarth has five process domains for development:
- Shaping the future - meeting tomorrow's social Challenges
- Focus on the importance of geoscience education in response to global challenges.
- Students' learning environment
- Focus on the student's learning process and active development of their generic skills.
- Teacher's learning environment
- Focus on building a collaborative culture within teaching and evidence-based learning practices.
- Field Learning
- Focus on the unique opportunities and challenges of field teaching and its integration into a coherent learning process.
- Alumni and dissemination
- Focus on establishing a close interaction between iEarth and potential employers in the private and public sectors to secure a dialogue and guarantee maximum relevance for our curriculum
iEarth is a national centre with partners from these Norwegian universities:
- Dept. of Earth Science, University of Bergen (host)
- Dept. of Geosciences, University of Oslo
- Dept. of Geosciences, University of Tromsø
- Dept. of Arctic Geology, University Centre at Svalbard - UNIS
Centres for Excellence in Education (SFU)
iEarth is Centre for Excellence in Education (SFU) from August 2020.
"The Center for Higher Education (SFU) scheme involves a focused and long-term effort to stimulate the development of education and innovative approaches to learning in higher education at bachelor and master's degree levels." Retrieved from nokut.no.