Service for research projects
The department is host to a large number of projects with various financing sources. Our standard services are free to all projects. All projects receive the same set of standard services unless otherwise discussed, agreed upon and financed before the project start.
Standard service consists of:
- Up to 5TB storage space for project data
- All UiO-, NFR- and KD-financed persons are issued a standard laptop
- We will purchase and install any other standard UiO client the project finances
- We will support use of department resources (clients, servers, services)
- We will inform about, and/or provide, courses on topics like data management, geo-portal, software/data carpentry, hpc, etc
- We will inform about available e-Infrastructure provided by other collaborators, like USIT, NorStore, Uninett a.o.
If we are to implement any kind of new infrastructure or develop new kinds of services this must be discussed and financed in advance. It must be defined in the project's agreement with the department, or a separate agreement.
If your project has financing in excess of 10MNOK, we need to talk with you before you send the project proposal. If your project is smaller and you are sure you can do the project with our standard set of services, this will not be necessary. If in doubt, get in touch with us :-)
We will ask to get the following:
- Project name:
- Project leader:
- Project contributors:
- Start date:
- End date:
- Disk size:
- Plans for long-term data preservation:
This is the list we'll go through with large projects. We are happy to work with the project to be able to answer this together.
- The project should have a Data Management Plan. We can help write it.
- Can you do what you wish to do with current infrastructure? Have you already tested this, with realistic data set size?
- If not:
- Will you work interactively?
- Will you work on windows, linux, both?
- What SW stack will you use?
- Do you have special CPU needs? HPC?
- Do you need 3D visualization?
- What file size will you work with?
- What total data size are we talking about?
- If we set something up for you, what are the acceptance criteria? Can you fund hardware? Development time?