Policy regarding purchase of machines
- The department supplies all employees with a standard computer. What exactly is "standard" will depend on the purchases we can make at any given time.
- We provide a choice of 2 models: laptop or stationary machine. Machines are delivered with two 24" monitors (or one 27" monitor), external keyboard and mouse. A Laptop comes with a docking station, a stationary machine gets a graphic card. We expect these machines to last about 4 years, or — for PhD students etc. — for the duration of your contract.
Persons working on an hourly basis only get one 24" monitor.
- If you would like something else than these models, you may use project financing to bankroll it. The Department will cover up to NOK 10000 (+25% VAT) for this purchase, as this replaces your «standard computer», with the following limitations:
- You can not expect full support from the IT staff. In particular, support for Apple Macintosh machines is limited.
- You assume the risk of theft or damage not covered by warranty. In such an event, IT can only provide you with an older machine from our stockpile.
The department provides server resources (windows and linux) tightly coupled to our storage solution and most demanding work will easier be handled there than at individual laptops. For large jobs we have national resources within high performance computing and other areas. We are happy to help you get started with either.
Exceptions to the above must be approved by the department leadership (Head of Administration or Department Head).