About your account
Your account is your common key to all University IT Services.
First some handy information:
- Keep your password a secret! Do not share it with anyone.
Email may be read on the web and also contain your calendar. You can also set up your mail and calendar with the following programs:
- Wifi access is primarily given by the SSID "Eduroam" at the University, most airports in Norway and at other Eduroam sites in Norway and in Europe. Log in with email@example.com to ensure wide access at all sites. See our Wifi page for more information.
- Home directory can be accessed through both Windows and Linux.
- In other words you can use M: and $HOME (or ~) to interchange files and documents between the different systems. This is a good alternative to external services like Dropbox and others outside Norwegian jurisdiction.
- WinSCP and WebDrive towards the machine login.uio.no will transfer files for your both ways.
- In your home directory a subdirectory "www_docs" will place files on the web (internet): The URL is http://folk.uio.no/your_username
- NB! If you place files there from Windows you will need to give access/open the files for reading by everyone:
Start Putty to the machine login.uio.no (If you haven't Putty open a ssh connection on the web) run /site/bin/legg-paa-web.sh there