Arrival & public transportation
If your accommodation is not arranged through the organizers, we suggest to choose a place with a convenient connection to the campus at Blindern (via metro or street car). Hotel chains like Thon and Scandic offer pleasant accommodation at different price levels. There are also very many options for airbnb-stays and alike. If you are looking for neighborhoods with a particular flair, we might be able to provide some useful information on that.
There are plenty of places to enjoy a delicious meal as you can see here or here (in Norwegian), but one should say that it is relatively expensive compared to most other places in the world. If you don't (need to) mind the price, there are some very distinguished restaurants in Oslo that offer gourmet adventures.
Paying by card
Oslo (possibly Norway in general) is a place, where you can pay almost everything everywhere electronically (card or even through apps in some places), for instance at the small Christmas market shops or when you buy a coffee. So you probably don't need to withdraw huge amounts of cash, but just a little in case you end up at one of the rare spots where they ask for bills & coins (kun kontant).
There are plenty of things to see/visit/do in Oslo in December, for instance
- Frognerparken/ Vigelandsparken
- Holmenkollen ski jump and museum
- the city hall, where the Nobel Peace Prize is awarded
- the Nobel Peace Center with exhibitions related to the latest Nobel Peace Prize Laureate
- the National Gallery (showing Munch's famous The Scream; free admission on Thursdays)
- shopping on Karl Johans Gate, or at Steen og Strøm, or...
- the vibrant neighborhood of Grünerløkka
- walk around the peninsula Bygdøy with its Fram Museum, Kon-Tiki Museum and the Norwegian Folk Museum
- hiking/cross-country skiing in Oslo's city woods featuring some beautiful lakes and huts (stua), where you can get a waffle and a hot drink
- skiing at one of the nearer resorts around Oslo (depending on the weather, some of them you can reach using public transport in zone 1)