Formulation of photoreactive drugs and biological products.
About the research group
Our main focus is formulation of photoreactive drugs and biological products with emphasis on pharmaceutical active ingredients with poor drugability (e.g., low solubility, poor stability, high aggregation probablility, proteins). The drug delivery systems are based on nanoparticles (e.g., polymeric micelles, cyclodextrins), gels, sponges and solid foams.
The clinical applications are mainly antimicrobial- and cancer photodynamic therapy (aPDT/PDT). The primary sites for drug release are the oral cavity, skin (i.e., wounds) and brain tumors.
The research group is also dealing with photodegradation issues and performs photostability testing according to the ICH Guideline (ICH Q1B).
- Photoreactivity of drugs and drug formulations
- Solubilization technology
- Nanovehilces such as cyclodextrins and polymeric micelles
- Application of natural deep eutectic solvents (NADES) in aPDT
- Formulation of collagen-based gels and sponges
- Formulation of solid foams
- Formulation of supersaturated systems
PharmaLuxLab is a partner in the Horizon 2020 FET Open project «Lumiblast». We have international and national research collaboration through that network and also through the Erasmus program and other exchange programs.
Main national collaborators:
- NIOM - Nordic Institute of Dental Materials, Oslo
- Nofima AS, Oslo
- Norilia AS, Oslo
- Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU)
- Institute of Energy Technology (IFE), Oslo
- Department of Biosciences, University of Oslo
- Oslo University Hospital
Main international collaborators:
- Medicinal Chemistry, Faculty of Pharmacy, University of Iceland, Reykjavik, Iceland
- Department of Physics and Mathematical Sciences, University of Insubria at Como, Italy
- Department of Organic Chemistry, University of Padua, Italy
- University of Trebon, Czech Republic
- National and Kapodistrian University of Athens, Greece
- Universitat Polytecnica de Valencia, Spain
- Knight Scientific Ltd., UK
Academic programmes and courses
- FRM5530 - Drug formulation and Drug targeting
- FRM5540/9540 - Photoreactivity of medicines
- FRM5560 - New drugs and drug delivery in cancer therapy
PharmaLuxLab is equipped with the following special instrumentation:
- Irradiation sources for photostability and photoactivation studies: Monochromator, Suntest CPS+, light chambers for therapeutic use
- NanoDSC and NanoITC for studies of biomolecules, polymeric micelles and drug interactions with macromolecules