Research in Svalbard: APECS workshop 2021
The Association for Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS) is organizing a 1 day workshop (Monday 1 Nov) in connection with the Svalbard Science Conference. The workshop aims to bring together early career and established researchers with any interest in research or field work on Svalbard.
Numerous international and interdisciplinary research projects are carried out in Svalbard every year. Projects include both senior and early career researchers (ECRs), some of whom may have never previously set foot on the archipelago. To foster cooperation among all scientists, it is essential to share information and data on the recent and future research conducted in Svalbard, as well as tips on accessibility, logistics and funding.
This free workshop will include talks from keynote speakers and participants. The day will conclude with a poster and networking session for all - we encourage all to contribute with a poster describing with your own Svalbard and Arctic research and/or interests! A similar workshop was previously held in 2019.
Latest program for download: here.
Applications for travel support are now closed but registration (in-person or on Zoom) is possible by emailing Grace Shephard [firstname.lastname@example.org].
Lunch, coffee and evening tapas-style reception is provided during the 1-day workshop.
Organizers: APECS Norway, APECS Russia, UK Polar Network; with administrative support from the Centre for Earth Evolution and Dynamics (CEED, Uni. Oslo).
Schedule: 1000-1830h. Morning seminars, afternoon seminars and discussion, evening poster and networking session.
Venue: Tøyen hovedgård within the Oslo Botanical Gardens. Closest T-bane metro station is Tøyen (10 minutes walk).
Confirmed Keynote Speakers:
- Hans Arne Nakrem (Natural History Museum, Oslo)
- Nick Cox (British Antarctic Survey)
- Edina Pozer (Science Library, University of Oslo)
- Susan Barr (ICOMOS International Polar Heritage Committee)
- Denis Davydov (Polar Alpine Botanical Garden-Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences)
- Denis Moiseev (Murmansk Marine Biological Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences)
- Alexander Saburov (Northern (Arctic) Federal University)
- Marianne Johansen (Norwegian Research Council/Svalbard Science Conference)
- Irina Repina (Institute of Atmospheric Physics, Russian Academy of Sciences)
APECS Norway: Grace Shephard, Kyle Mayers
UK Polar Network: Saule Akhmetkaliyeva
APECS Russia: Yulia Zaika
Funding: Norwegian Research Council (Norges Forskningsråd) through the Svalbard Science Forum.
For any enquiries please contact Grace Shephard (UiO, APECS Norway Vice President) email@example.com