Research in Svalbard: An APECS workshop
The Association for Polar Early Career Scientists (APECS) is organizing a 1 day workshop (4 Nov) in connection with the Svalbard Science Conference. The workshop aims to bring together early career and established researchers with any interest in research or field work on Svalbard. Travel support available!
Numerous international and interdisciplinary research projects are carried out in Svalbard every year. Projects include both senior and early career researchers (ECRs), some of whom may have never previously set foot on the archipelago. To foster cooperation among all scientists, it is essential to share information and data on the recent and future research conducted in Svalbard, as well as tips on accessibility, logistics and funding.
This free workshop will include talks from keynote speakers and participants. The day will conclude with a poster and networking session for all - we encourage all to contribute with a poster describing with your own Svalbard and Arctic research and/or interests!
Abstract and Registration link: https://nettskjema.no/a/120639
Applications for travel support open until September 1 (please register early) and regular registration until October 1.
Support will be prioritised for those attending the Svalbard Science Conference (SCC; 5-6 November). The SSC offers a 50% registration rate for Masters and PhD students (1000 nok). Lunch, coffee break and evening reception is provided during the 1-day workshop.
Organizers: APECS Norway, APECS Russia, UK Polar Network; and with administrative support from the Centre for Earth Evolution and Dynamics (CEED, UiO).
Funding: Norwegian Research Council through the Svalbard Science Forum.
1. Logistics and Funding
3. Data Sharing and Outreach
4. Svalbard Science and Research
Confirmed Keynote Speakers:
- Ann Auestad (UNIS)
- Hans Arne Nakrem (Natural History Museum, UiO)
- Edina Pozer Bue (UiO Science Library)
- Susan Barr (ICOMOS International Polar Heritage Committee)
- Jørn H. Hurum (Natural History Museum, UiO)
- Nick Cox (British-Antarctic Survey, BAS)
- Christiane Hübner (Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observing System (SIOS))
- Nikita Demidov (Arctic and Antarctic Research Institute (AARI) and Russian Academy of Sciences RAS)
- Yuri Ugrymov (Chief of the Russian Arctic Expedition on Spitsbergen and AARI Deputy Director for Expedition Activity)
- Kyle Mayers (NORCE Norwegian Research Centre AS)
Schedule (to be updated):
The workshop will begin around 0930h and will conclude after the poster and networking session around 1900h. Final schedule will be updated closer to the date.
Tøyen hovedgård within the Oslo Botanical Gardens. Closest T-bane metro station is Tøyen.
APECS Norway: Grace Shephard, Ruth Vingerhagen, Hannah Marie Hernandez
UK Polar Network: Anna Belcher, Robynne Nowicki, Chelsey Baker, Kyle Mayers
APECS Russia: Yulia Zaika, Vasili Efimov
For any enquiries please contact Grace Shephard (UiO, APECS Norway President) at grace[dot]shephard[at]geo.uio.no