My main focus is on the ecology of fungi in soil and plant roots. I'm currently employed on the project "Archaeorhizomycetes - an abundant but entirely unmapped group of soil fungi in Norway", where we aim to investigate the distribution and diversity of fungi belonging to the class Archaeorhizomycetes in Norway.
Academic interests and background
I am a mycologist with a special interest in root associated fungi and functional versiatility in fungi. I did both my BS (2012) and MSc degree (2014) at the University of Oslo. During my master I looked at the fine-scale spatial structure of the root associated fungi of the ectomycorrhiza-forming plant Bistorta vivipara. After my masters I worked a few months as a research assistant, working with fungal cultures and extracting DNA from soil samples, before I started my PhD in February 2015. I defended my PhD "Functional versatility and diversity in the plant root mycobiome" on the 5th of April 2019.
- Botnen, Synnøve Smebye; Thoen, Ella; Eidesen, Pernille Bronken; Krabberød, Anders Kristian & Kauserud, Håvard (2020). Community composition of arctic root-associated fungi mirrors host plant phylogeny. FEMS Microbiology Ecology. ISSN 0168-6496. . doi: https://doi.org/10.1093/femsec/fiaa185
- Botnen, Synnøve Smebye; Davey, Marie Louise; Aas, Anders Bjørnsgard; Carlsen, Tor; Thoen, Ella; Heegaard, Einar; Vik, Unni; Dresch, Philipp; Mundra, Sunil; Peintner, Ursula; Taylor, Andy F. S. & Kauserud, Håvard (2019). Biogeography of plant root-associated fungal communities in the North Atlantic region mirrors climatic variability. Journal of Biogeography. ISSN 0305-0270. 46(7), s 1532- 1546 . doi: 10.1111/jbi.13613 Show summary
- Thoen, Ella; Aas, Anders Bjørnsgard; Vik, Unni; Brysting, Anne Krag; Skrede, Inger; Carlsen, Tor & Kauserud, Håvard (2019). A single ectomycorrhizal plant root system includes a diverse and spatially structured fungal community. Mycorrhiza. ISSN 0940-6360. 29(3), s 167- 180 . doi: 10.1007/s00572-019-00889-z Full text in Research Archive.
- Thoen, Ella (2019). Functional versatility and diversity in the plan root mycobiome. Series of dissertations submitted to the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Oslo.. 2090.
- Tonjer, Lea-Rebekka; Thoen, Ella & Bryn, Anders (2018). Uten soppen når ikke skogen toppen. Aftenposten (morgenutg. : trykt utg.). ISSN 0804-3116. s 12- 13
- Tonjer, Lea-Rebekka; Thoen, Ella; Morgado, Luis Neves; Mundra, Sunil; Nybakken, Line; Bryn, Anders & Kauserud, Håvard (2018). Changes in the soil fungal community across the mountain birch tree line ecotone.
- Vik, Unni; Pérez-Izquierdo, Leticia; Thoen, Ella & Clemmensen, Karina E. (2018). Fungal communities in a changing climate.