I work with fungi in soil and plant roots. In the project "The plant root microbiome driversity and resilience in a changing climate (DRIVE)," we aim to understand the dynamics of soil- and plant root associated microbes in a changing climate.
Academic interests and background
I am a mycologist with a special interest in root associated fungi and functional versiatility in fungi. I did both my BS (2012) and MSc degree (2014) at the University of Oslo. During my master I looked at the fine-scale spatial structure of the root associated fungi of the ectomycorrhiza-forming plant Bistorta vivipara. After my masters I worked a few months as a research assistant, working with fungal cultures and extracting DNA from soil samples, before I started my PhD in February 2015. I defended my PhD "Functional versatility and diversity in the plant root mycobiome" on the 5th of April 2019.
- Botnen, Synnøve Smebye; Davey, Marie Louise; Aas, Anders Bjørnsgard; Carlsen, Tor; Thoen, Ella; Heegaard, Einar; Vik, Unni; Dresch, Philipp; Mundra, Sunil; Peintner, Ursula; Taylor, Andy F. S. & Kauserud, Håvard (2019). Biogeography of plant root-associated fungal communities in the North Atlantic region mirrors climatic variability. Journal of Biogeography. ISSN 0305-0270. 46(7), s 1532- 1546 . doi: 10.1111/jbi.13613 Show summary
- Thoen, Ella; Aas, Anders Bjørnsgard; Vik, Unni; Brysting, Anne Krag; Skrede, Inger; Carlsen, Tor & Kauserud, Håvard (2019). A single ectomycorrhizal plant root system includes a diverse and spatially structured fungal community. Mycorrhiza. ISSN 0940-6360. 29(3), s 167- 180 . doi: 10.1007/s00572-019-00889-z Full text in Research Archive.
- Thoen, Ella (2019). Functional versatility and diversity in the plan root mycobiome. Series of dissertations submitted to the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, University of Oslo.. 2090.
- Tonjer, Lea-Rebekka; Thoen, Ella & Bryn, Anders (2018). Uten soppen når ikke skogen toppen. Aftenposten (morgenutg. : trykt utg.). ISSN 0804-3116. s 12- 13
- Tonjer, Lea-Rebekka; Thoen, Ella; Morgado, Luis Neves; Mundra, Sunil; Nybakken, Line; Bryn, Anders & Kauserud, Håvard (2018). Changes in the soil fungal community across the mountain birch tree line ecotone.
- Vik, Unni; Pérez-Izquierdo, Leticia; Thoen, Ella & Clemmensen, Karina E. (2018). Fungal communities in a changing climate.