Energy Informatics is a brand-new initiative established by Department of Informatics and UiO:Energy at University of Oslo, Norway.
Energy informatics leverages state-of-the-art ICT (information and communication technology) to tackle the global warming and climate change challenges. The scope of energy informatics includes computing and communications technologies and their applications for sustainable energy sectors (e.g., smart grid, solar power, wind energy, electric vehicles, energy, storage, smart cities, green data center, green computing).
We started a new course INF5870/INF9870 "Energy Informatics" from Spring Semester in 2017. From Jan. 2019, the course has a new code IN5410/IN9410 "Energy Informatics". This course lay the foundations to understand where and how computer engineering techniques apply in the energy systems.
Key features of the course:
- Invited speakers from industry experts (e.g., Green Mountain, BKK, WindSim, Statnett, Hafslund, Rejlers, Energy Norge, Powel, NVE, DNV GL)
- Invited speakers from the world-leading scientists in both energy and ICT domain
- Learn state-of-the-art ICT techniques for future energy systems
- Learn through assignments, programming and real datasets
Please find more information about teaching plan at: IN5410/IN9410 "Energy Informatics"
“Energy Informatics” studies state-of-the-art computer science for sustainable future energy systems. Our research interests include
- Smart Grid Communications, Control, Optimization and Cyber Security
- IoT/Edge/Fog/Cloud Computing for Smart Grid
- Green Computing and Energy Efficiency
- Big Data Analytics for Smart Energy Management
- Blockchain for Smart Energy Systems
- Digital Twin for 6G and IoT (e.g., Smart Grid, Transport)
We have great interest in both theoretical and data-driven approaches. Some typical techniques include: control and optimization, game theory, data analytics, and machine learning. We are either a project coordinator or a key partner in the following research projects.
- PACE (Partnership for joint Curriculum Development and Research in Energy Informatics), partnership programme in research and education with UiS, University of Lille and TU Munich, RCN/SiU funded
- LUCS (Learning to Understand and Control nation-wide Smart grids of energy prosumers), partnership programme in research and education with Simula Research Laboratory and TU Berlin, RCN/SiU funded
- GreenCharge (demonstration of technical solutions and viable business models for electrical vehicle charging), H2020 project
- SmartNEM (Smart Community Neighborhood - driven by Energy Informatics), RCN/EnergiX funded
- IoTSec (Security in IoT for Smart Grids). RCN funded.
- TIDENET (Theoretical and Data-driven Approaches for Energy-efficient Networks): RCN funded.
- ProNET (Protection of Power Electronically Interfaced LV Distributed Generation Networks)
- CPS Lab at UiO for Cyber Physical Systems
We deliver regular tutorials on related topics in ComSoc (IEEE Communications Society), PES (IEEE Power & Energy Society) and VTS (IEEE Vehicular Technology Society) flagship international conferences. Normally, all tutorials are 3-hours tutorial on a specific topic.
- Tutorial, "Internet of Vehicles: when Edge Computing and Learning Meet Intelligent Transport Systems", The 8th IEEE/CIC International Conference on Communications in China (ICCC2019), August 2019
- Tutorial, "Blockchain for Smart Energy Systems", The 10th IEEE International Conference on Communications, Control, and Computing Technologies for Smart Grids (SmartGridComm 2019) , October 2019, China
- Tutorial, "Blockchain for Smart Energy Systems", IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) Asia (IEEE ISGT Asia 2019), Chengdu, China
- Tutorial, "Blockchain for Smart Energy Systems", IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) European (IEEE ISGT Europe 2018), October 21-25, 2018 in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Tutorial, "Electric Vehicles and Vehicle-to-Grid (V2G)", 2018 Summer School on Future Energy Information Networks (SS-FEIN), Oslo, 3-7 Sept. 2018
- Tutorial, "Internet of Vehicles: When SDN, Edge Computing and Big Data Meet Intelligent Transport Systems", IEEE 87th Vehicular Technology Conference (IEEE VTC2018-Spring), June 2018, Porto, Portugal
- Tutorial, "Energy Internet: Concepts and Key Technologies", IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) (IEEE ISGT Asia 2018), May 2018, Singapore
Tutorial, "Energy Informatics: Communications, Learning and Optimization", IEEE GLOBECOM 2017, Dec. 2017, Singapore
Tutorial, "Energy Internet: Concepts and Key Technologies", IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) European (IEEE ISGT Europe 2017), September 2017, Torino, Italy
Tutorial, "Vehicle-to-Grid: Control, Optimization and Cyber-Security", 2017 IEEE International Transportation Electrification Conference and Expo, Asia-Pacific (ITEC Asia-Pacific 2017) August 2017, Harbin, China
Tutorial, "Demand Response Management in Smart Grid", IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT) European (IEEE ISGT Europe 2016), October 2016, Ljubljana, Slovenia
We have many master projects within the scope of energy informatics, for example,
- Machine leaning and deep learning for wind energy forecasting
- Machine learning for battery health status prediction
- Federated learning: new algorithms and applications
- Machine learning for traffic flow forecasting
- Green Cloud and Wind-driven Clouds: investigating the benefits achievable from co-locating data centers and wind farms
- Big Data for Weather: Big Weather Data Storage and Analysis and Prediction
- Big Data Analytics for Weather Forecasting
- Electric Vehicles: How Many Charging Stations Needed for e-Cars in Oslo by 2020?
Please find all available master thesis at: Available Master Thesis
We have established tight collaboration with industry, Norwegian and international universities.
UiO:Energy: one of three strategic priority areas at the university
- Congratulations to prof. Sabita Maharjan for joining the Editorial Board of two IEEE top-ranked journals: IEEE Internet of Things, IEEE Open Journal of the Computer Society
- We organized special issues related to Blockchain and IoT (Smart Grid, Transport, 6G) in IEEE top-ranked Transactions/Magazines, including IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics, IEEE Internet of Things journal, IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, IEEE Transactions on Emerging Topics in Computing, IEEE Network Magazine.
- Our group joins the Energy Informatics.Academy
- Together with University of Stavanger, Technical University of Munich (Germany), and University of Lille (France), we have acquired the INTPART project PACE with duration 2019 - 2021.
- Together with Simula Metropolitan Center for Digital Engineering and Technical University of Berlin we organized a Summer School in Future Energy Information Networks September 3-7, 2018.
- Prof. Frank Eliassen gave a talk March 21, 2018, at the energy event “European Universities for a Clean Energy Future: Interdisciplinary Education, Training and Research” in Nancy, France
- Energy Informatics at IFI and IFE held a two-day workshop to strengthen the collaboration in research, education and training at Sundvolden 12-13 March, 2018
- Prof. Frank Eliassen gave a talk March 6, 2018 at Polyteknisk Forening about machine learning in the power system. It was a large crowd, great interest and discussions. See: http://www.polyteknisk.no/moter/kunstig-intelligens-kraftsystemet/
- We will give a tutorial "Energy Internet: Concepts and Key Technologies" at the conference IEEE ISGT Asia 2018
- We will give a tutorial "Internet of Vehicles: When SDN, Edge Computing and Big Data Meet Intelligent Transport Systems" at the conference IEEE VTC Spring 2018
- Frank Eliassen and Yan Zhang visited Center for Energy Informatics, University of Southern Denmark
- We will give a tutorial " Energy Informatics: Communications, Learning and Optimization" at the conference IEEE GLOBECOM 2017
- We will give a tutorial "Energy Internet: Concepts and Key Technologies" at the conference IEEE ISGT Europe 2017
- Frank Eliassen attended Singapore-Norway Energy Workshop 20-22 feb. 2017.
- We are organizing a special issue IEEE Transactions on Industrial Informatics special issue on "Energy Informatics for Green Cities".
- We are organizing a special issue IEEE Wireless Communications Magazine special issue on "Wireless Big Data: Technologies and Applications"