Strategy and goals
- Maintain and develop a world leading cross-disciplinary research center in physical sciences at UiO with focus on a fundamental understanding of the dynamics of fluid-solid systems with Earth-like complexity.
- Build the next generation of computational competences and experimental laboratory facilities for the study of processes in fluid-rock / fluid porous-media systems in 4D from molecular to field scales.
- Provide a unique basis for making predictions relevant for CO2-sequestration, exploration and exploitation of natural resources, transport of contaminants in geo-systems, avalanches, landslides, and other geohazards.
- Generate an outstanding environment for research-based education at the Masters and PhD levels.
- Make complex Earth systems visible in the public sphere.
- Submit one successful ERC Advanced or Synergy grant and one ERC Startup or Consolidator grants within the first 5 year period, and establish a new CoE with a NJORD PI within the next 10 years.
- To create an interactive co-localized organization of geoscientist and physicists conducting field geology, theory, numerical modeling and experiments in concert
- Be an active and often leading partner in international Collaborations
- Participate in international projects (IODP, ICDP, Inter-Reg MAXIVESSFUN) and be a user of large-scale national and international facilities where Norway is a partner (ESRF, ESS, IFE, IOR).
- Research based education – learning by doing. Close collaboration with the Center for Computation in Science Education directed by Anders MaltheSørenssen.
- NJORD staff members will normally participate in the education at all levels at 3 their respective Departments with the normal workload associated with teaching at UiO. Exceptions may apply to staff involved in CoE’s and staff in leading roles. Impact through outreach and innovation
- Collaborations with leading artists, including composer Natasha Barrett and visual artist Ellen Karin Mæhlum, to produce joint exhibits and hosting artists in our laboratories.
- Frequent presence in the media.
- Extend existing collaborations with the private sector (Statoil, Total, VBPR, IRIS) through joint participations in research projects. • Provide competences and resources to develop the Physical Sciences at UiO in the future.
Published Dec. 14, 2018 11:40 AM - Last modified July 4, 2019 10:50 AM