There are less than 10,000 surviving Bale monkeys in Ethiopia, and they prefer to eat only bamboo – but the bamboo forests are shrinking, and local farmers harass or kill monkeys when they try to eat cultivated foods. This part sounds like a recipe for a species at high risk, but new research shows that the Bale monkeys can still be saved from extinction.
“Timing is everything” when a company plans to invest in new technology. New models based on mathematics and economic theory can help them hit the bull’s eye.
Bacteria have a poor reputation, but they are also important collaborators, for instance in medicine. Ambitious researchers use computers to push bacteria beyond their limits.
- Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics
- Department of Biosciences
- School of Pharmacy
- Department of Physics
- Department of Geosciences
- Department of Informatics
- Department of Chemistry
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Technology Systems
- Centre for Computing in Science Education (CCSE)
- Centre for Ecological and Evolutionary Synthesis (CEES)
- Centre for Earth Evolution and Dynamics (CEED)
- Centre for Entrepreneurship (SFE)
- Centre for Material Sciences and Nanotechnology (SMN)
- Rosseland Centre for Solar Physics (RoCS)
- Centre for Scalable Data Access in the Oil and Gas Domain (SIRIUS)
- Norwegian Centre for Science Education
- Hylleraas Centre for Quantum Molecular Sciences
The Silicon Road – Chinese-Norwegian partnership in photovoltaics
May 16, 2018 11:16 AM
The Chinese company Jinko Solar is currently the world’s largest producer of solar panels, and it manufactures the solar cells with the highest efficiency. Jinko Solar is also a key partner in the INTPART-project SiNorAPV: Sino-Norwegian Alliance in Photovoltaics, coordinated by Prof. Andrej Kuznetsov at the Centre for Materials Science and Nanotechnology (SMN), UiO. SiNorAPV is now looking for MSc- and PhD-students from UiO, NTNU, NMBU and UiA, who would like to spend a two-week internship this summer at the Jinko Solar factory near Shanghai. Five internships are available in 2018, the call can be found here.
Life sciences: Information and input meeting funding of new convergence environments
May 8, 2018 1:20 PM
Do you want to join the application process in 2018/2019 for funding of new interdisciplinary research groups in life sciences? Then you should sign up for one of UiO:Life Science´s meetings in the end of May.
Call for nominations to Alf Bjørseth’s inspiration prize
May 4, 2018 11:10 AM
The second annual prize will be awarded on June 12th 2018.
Highlight in "Astronomy & Astrophysics"
Apr. 23, 2018 2:01 PM
A new article by professor Mats Carlsson at RoCS, among others, was recently selected as a highlight in the scientific journal "Astronomy & Astrophysics".