Currently working in the Mike Koomey group undertaking a thesis exploring the evolutionary differences and relationships in protein glycosylation (pgl) gene content and associated oligosaccharide structures between pathogenic Neisseria species including N. gonorrhoeae and the deeply branching commensal species N. elongata. I will be constructing and characterizing strains of defined genetic backgrounds to gain a better understanding of the basis for and biological significance of glycan diversity at the genus and phenotypic level.
- MSc Molecular Medicine, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway
- BSc Cell Biology and Genetics, University of British Columbia (UBC), Vancouver, Canada
- BSc Molecular Biology (exchange semester), University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Australia
- Hadjineophytou, Chris; Anonsen, Jan Haug; Wang, Nelson; Ma, Kevin; Viburiene, Raimonda; Vik, Åshild; Harrison, Odile B; Maiden, Martin CJ; Grad, Yonatan H. & Koomey, John Michael (2019). Genetic determinants of genus-level glycan diversity in a bacterial protein glycosylation system. PLoS Genetics. ISSN 1553-7390. 15(12), s 1- 24 . doi: 10.1371/journal.pgen.1008532 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Wang, Nelson; Anonsen, Jan Haug; Viburiene, Raimonda; Lam, Joseph S; Vik, Åshild & Koomey, Michael (2019). Disrupted synthesis of a di-N-acetylated sugar perturbs mature glycoform structure and microheterogeneity in the O-linked protein glycosylation system of Neisseria elongata subsp. glycolytica. Journal of Bacteriology. ISSN 0021-9193. 201(1) . doi: 10.1128/JB.00522-18
- Wang, Nelson; Anonsen, Jan Haug; Vik, Åshild & Koomey, Michael (2018). Functional analyses of a glycosyltransferase reveal a genus-wide trajectory for glycan evolution in a bacterial protein glycosylation system.
- Wang, Nelson; Anonsen, Jan Haug; Viburiene, Raimonda; Lam, Joseph S; Vik, Åshild & Koomey, Michael (2016). Identification and analyses of pgl genes required for tetrasaccharide biosynthesis in Neisseria elongata subsp. glycolytica reveals patterns of protein glycosylation evolution at the genus level.
- Wang, Nelson (2015). Bacterial Protein Glycosylation: an Evolutionary Perspective from the genus Neisseria.