Nicolangelo Libero Iannella
The brain has the incredible ability to adapt, learn and remember new skills without erasing old memories. The underlying mechanisms are not well understood especially towards understanding the very long life times of memories.
My main research expertise lies in the areas of computational neuroscience/biology, learning in neural systems, neuromorphic engineering and theoretical physics, along with research interests in:
- Learning (including deep learning) in artificial and spiking neural networks
- Molecular mechanisms underlying Synaptic plasticity
- Neuromorphic Engineering
- Neural-glial-ECM signalling and dynamics
- Learning and memory in neuronal dendrites
- Nonlinear neural dynamics and stochastic processes
- Macroscopic measurement processes (LFP, EEG etc).
If you are looking for a project (co-)supervisor for your Masters or PhD or you would like to collaborate then please contact me via email, researchgate or LinkedIn.
- Mäki-Marttunen, Tuomo; Iannella, Nicolangelo Libero; Edwards, Andrew; Einevoll, Gaute & Blackwell, Kim T. (2020). A unified computational model for cortical post-synaptic plasticity. eLIFE. ISSN 2050-084X. 9, s 1- 37 . doi: 10.7554/eLife.5571. Impact factor: 7.1
- B. Moezzi, N. Schaworonkow, L. Plogmacher, M.R. Goldsworthy, B. Hordacre, M.D. McDonnell, N. Iannella, M.C. Ridding, and J. Triesch, ``Simulation of electromyographic recordings following transcranial magnetic stimulation,” Journal of Neurophysiology, (2018).
- S. Baek, J.K. Eshraghian, N. Iannella, K. Cho, Y.S. Goo, J.H. Kim, S.S. Kang, and K. Eshraghian, “Formulation and Implementation of Nonlinear Integral Equations to Model Neural Dynamics Within the Vertebrate Retina,” International Journal of Neural Systems, (2018). Impact factor: 6.33
- J. K. Eshraghian, K. Cho, H.H.C Iu, T. Fernando, N. Iannella, S-M Kang and K. Eshraghian, “Maximization of Crossbar Array Memory Using Fundamental Memristor Theory,” IEEE Transactions on circuit and systems II, Vol. 64(12), pp. 1402-1406, (2017).
- N. Iannella and T. Launey, “Modulating STDP balance impacts the dendritic mosaic,” Frontiers in Computational Neuroscience, Vol 11:42 (2017).
- J. M. Chappell, J.G. Hartnett, N. Iannella, A. Iqbal, and D. Abbott, “Time as a Geometric Property of Space,” Frontiers in Physics, Vol 4:44 (2016).
- B. Moezzi, N. Iannella, M. D. McDonnell, “Ion channel noise can explain firing correlation in auditory nerves,” Journal of Computational Neuroscience, Vol. 41(2), pp. 193-206, (2016).
- M. D. McDonnell, N. Iannella, M-S To, H. C. Tuckwell, J. Jost, B. Gutkin, L. M. Ward, “A Review of Methods for Identifying Stochastic Resonance in Simulations of Single Neuron Models", Network: Computation in Neural Systems, Vol. 26(2), pp. 35-71, (2015). *(Invited Review)
- S. M. A. Rahimi, N. Iannella, S. F. K. Al-Sarawi, G. Indiveri, and D. Abbott, “Spike-based synaptic plasticity in silicon: Design, implementations, applications and challenges,” Proceedings of IEEE, Vol. 102(5), pp. 717-737, (2014). Impact Factor: 9.24 *(Invited paper)
- S. M. A. Rahimi, S. F. K Al-Sarawi, D. Abbott, and N. Iannella, “A neuromorphic VLSI implementation of spike timing and rate based synaptic plasticity,” Neural Networks, Vol. 45, pp. 70-82, (2013). Impact Factor: 5.29
Iannella, Nicolangelo Libero & Condemine, Michel (2020). Neurons and Plasticity: What Do Glial Cells Have to Do with This? In Tsytsarev, Vassiliy; Yamamoto, Vicky & Zhong, Ning (Ed.), Functional Brain Mapping: Methods and Aims. Springer Nature. ISSN 978-981-15-6882-4. p. 13–46. doi: 10.1007/978-981-15-6883-1_2.
Iannella, Nicolangelo Libero; Prydz, Kristian; Malthe-Sørensen, Anders; Einevoll, Gaute & Fyhn, Marianne (2020). A framework for modelling neuronal-ECM signalling.
Iannella, Nicolangelo Libero; Prydz, Kristian; Malthe-Sørensen, Anders; Einevoll, Gaute & Fyhn, Marianne (2019). A new framework for modelling neural-ECM signaling.
Iannella, Nicolangelo Libero; Prydz, Kristian; Malthe-Sørensen, Anders; Einevoll, Gaute & Fyhn, Marianne (2019). A new framework for modelling neural-ECM signalling and interaction.
Iannella, Nicolangelo Libero (2019). The balance between learning and representation: What does neuronal morphology have to do with this?
Iannella, Nicolangelo Libero & Mäki-Marttunen, Tuomo (2019). Modelling intracellular cascades and neural plasticity.