A typical cell contains thousands of different mRNA species whose lifetimes can differ from a few minutes to several hours or days. Furthermore, it has been found that lifetimes of individual mRNA populations can be up- and down-regulated by internal and external cues. Despite its importance for determining levels of transcripts and of gene expression, the molecular basis for differences in lifetimes of mRNAs is largely unknown. Sequence elements important for stabilizing or destabilizing transcripts have been found in 5’ and 3’ untranslated regions of mRNAs but how these elements function in controlling RNA longevity remains elusive.
We have delineated short RNA-stabilizing sequences near the 5’ terminus of mRNAs in chloroplasts and showed that these sequences have to fold into a specific RNA secondary structure in order to function in RNA stabilization. Mutations in the 5’ region of mRNAs that prevent folding of the sequences into their native conformation render the transcripts extremely unstable.
Currently our research centers around the identification of putative trans-acting factors that we believe bind to the RNA-stabilizing sequence elements. We are also trying to characterize the molecular machinery that degrades mRNAs in chloroplasts.
- Valegård, Karin; Andralojc, P. John; Haslam, Richard P.; Pearce, F. Grant; Eriksen, Gunilla Kristina; Madgwick, Pippa J.; Kristoffersen, Anne Karin; van Lun, Michiel; Klein, Uwe; Eilertsen, Hans Christian; Parry, Martin A.J. & Andersson, Inger (2018). Structural and functional analyses of Rubisco from arctic diatom species reveal unusual posttranslational modifications. Journal of Biological Chemistry. ISSN 0021-9258. 293(34), s 13033- 13043 . doi: 10.1074/jbc.RA118.003518
- Salvador, Maria Luisa; Suay, Loreto & Klein, Uwe (2011). Messenger RNA degradation is initiated at the 5' end and follows sequence- and condition-dependent modes in chloroplasts. Nucleic Acids Research. ISSN 0305-1048. 39(14), s 6213- 6222 . doi: 10.1093/nar/gkr226
- Klein, Uwe (2008). Chloroplast Transcription, In David Stern (ed.), The Chlamydomonas Sourcebook, Vol. 2: Organellar and Metabolic Processes. Elsevier. ISBN 0-12-370875-3. Chapter 25. s 893 - 913
- Klein, Uwe; Suay, Loreto; Salvador, Maria Luisa & Abesha-Belay, Emnet (2005). Specific roles of 5' RNA secondary structures in stabilizing transcripts in chloroplasts. Nucleic Acids Research. ISSN 0305-1048. 33(15), s 4754- 4761 . doi: 10.1093/nar/gki760
- Brondz, Ilia; Mantzilas, Dimitrios; Klein, Uwe; Ekeberg, Dag; Hvattum, Erlend; Lebedeva, Marina N.; Mikhailitsyn, Felix S.; Souleimanov, Gasan D. & Røe, Janne (2004). Nature of the main contaminant in the anti malaria drug primaquine diphosphate: a qualitative isomer analysis. Journal of chromatography. B. ISSN 1570-0232. 800, s 211- 223
- Salvador, ML; Suay, L; Anthonisen, IL & Klein, Uwe (2004). Changes in the 5'-untranslated region of the rbcL gene accelerate transcript degradation more than 50-fold in the chloroplast of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii". Current Genetics. ISSN 0172-8083. 45, s 176- 182 . doi: 10.1007/s00294-003-0470-8
- Anthonisen, Inger Lill; Kasai, Seitaro; Kato, Ko; Salvador, Maria Luisa & Klein, Uwe (2002). Structural and functional characterization of a transcription-enhancing sequence element in the rbcL gene of the Chlamydomonas chloroplast genome. Current Genetics. ISSN 0172-8083. 41, s 349- 356
- Goyer, Aymeric; Haslekås, Camilla; Miginiac-Maslow, Myroslawa; Klein, Uwe; Marechal, Pierre Le; Jacquot, Jean-Pierre & Decottignies, Paulette (2002). Isolation and characterization of a thioredoxin-dependent peroxidase from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. European Journal of Biochemistry (EJB). ISSN 0014-2956. 269, s 272- 282
- Anthonisen, Inger Lill; Salvador, Maria Luisa & Klein, Uwe (2001). Specific sequence elements in the 5' untranslated regions of rbcL and atpB gene mRNAs stabilize transcripts in the chloroplast of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. RNA: A publication of the RNA Society. ISSN 1355-8382. 7, s 1024- 1033
- Salvador, Maria Luisa & Klein, Uwe (1999). The redox state regulates RNA degradation in the chloroplast of Chlamydomonas reinhardtii. Plant Physiology. ISSN 0032-0889. 121, s 1- 8 Vis sammendrag
- Brondz, Ilia; Mantzilas, Dimitrios; Klein, Uwe; Lebedeva, Marina N.; Mikhailitsyn, Felix S. & Souleimanov, Gasan D. (2003). The main contaminant of the anti-malaria drug primaquine is its positional isomer.