Charles Martin is a specialist in percussion, computer music, and interactive media from Canberra, Australia. He links percussion with electroacoustic music and other media through new technologies. In 2016, Charles joined the Engineering Prediction and Embodied Cognition (EPEC) project at the University of Oslo, where he is developing new ways to predict musical intentions and performances in smartphone apps.
From 2018, Charles is also a researcher in the RITMO Centre for Interdisciplinary Studies in Rhythm, Time, and Motion.
- new interfaces for musical performance
- computational creativity
- smartphone/tablet musical instruments
- collaborative performance
- co-creative interfaces
- percussive approaches to computer music
Charles supervises masters projects in the EPEC project and ROBIN group at IFI. Projects are available in:
- developing predictive musical instruments
- machine learning of musical style
- musical AI
- computer support for collaborative musical expression
More information on interactive music and musical AI is available at the EPEC project page. Here's some helpful slides about doing musical masters projects.