Disputation: Jonas Sæther Markussen
Doctoral candidate Jonas Sæther Markussen at the Department of Informatics, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, is defending the thesis SmartIO: Device sharing and memory disaggregation in PCIe clusters using non-transparent bridging for the degree of Philosophiae Doctor.
The PhD defence will be partially digital, in Kristen Nygaards sal (5370), Ole-Johan Dahls hus and streamed directly using Zoom. The host of the session will moderate the technicalities while the chair of the defence will moderate the disputation.
Ex auditorio questions: the chair of the defence will invite the attending audience at Kristen Nygaards sal to ask ex auditorio questions.
Monday 17 october 2022, 11:15 AM, Simula Research Laboratory, Hans Petter Langtangen Lecture Hall (Kristian Augusts Gate 23) / Zoom
Main research findings
- Cluster computing and other distributed applications often need to process large amounts of data, leading to high performance requirements to I/O resources, such as flash storage and graphics cards. However, while such resources are now common in individual computer systems, distributing them across machines in a cluster in a way that maximizes both performance and resource utilization is a challenge.
Our SmartIO solution enable computers in a computing cluster to share their I/O resources with each other. Machines can lend out their internal devices and borrow remote resources from other machines. By using a special network adapter called a Non-Transparent Bridge, SmartIO memory maps remote resources for a local system. Software can be written as if all resources are local, greatly reducing programming complexity compared to existing sharing solutions, which require distributed programming paradigms. In other words, resource sharing becomes easier with SmartIO. Our thorough performance evaluation proves that devices can be shared and used with minimal performance overhead using our SmartIO solution, increasing the overall resource utilization in the cluster.
- Professor Zsolt István, Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany
- Professor Mei Wen, National University of Defense Technology (NUDT), China
- Professor Tor Skeie, Department of informatics, University of Oslo
- Associate Professor Håkon Kvale Stensland, Department of Informatics, UiO
- Professor Carsten Griwodz, Department of Informatics, UiO
- Professor Pål Halvorsen, Department of Informatics, UiO
Chair of defence:
Professor Stephan Oepen
Candidate contact information: https://www.linkedin.com/in/jonasmarkussen/
Contact information at Department: Mozhdeh Sheibani Harat