Ecotoxicology, multiple stressors, marine environmental monitoring, copepods, ecology, life history, behavioral ecology.
I am currently working as a postdoctoral fellow in the project MULTICOP, in which we aim to improve our understanding of how combined exposure to biotic stressors can affect contaminant toxicity. The focus of my research is to investigate effects of combined predation risk and copper exposure in coastal copepods, and to identify mechanisms of stressor interactions.
To better predict population effects of contaminant exposure, and enable integration of multiple stressor interactions into future environmental monitoring programmes, we need to understand the mechanisms underlying stressor interactions. In MULTICOP we aim to develop mechanistic dynamic energy budget (DEB) models coupled with population dynamic models to elucidate ecological consequences of combined stressor exposure.
I finished my PhD at UiO in Desember 2019. The PhD position was part of the Deptartment of Biosciences prioritized research project LUMS: Life-history variation under multiple stressors. Our results from LUMS showed that the biotic stressors predation risk and conspecific density can modulate copper toxicity in coastal copepods.
Guidelines and threshold values used for environmental monitoring are often based on data from traditional toxicological tests focused on single stressor exposure at otherwise pristine environmental conditions. However, pristine environmental conditions are not likely to reflect the environment experienced by any organisms in nature. Living is stressful, and all organisms face a range of challenges as they go about their daily business, for example competition for food and risks of predation. Combined exposure of natural and anthropogenic stressors (i.e. multiple stressor exposure) can amplify or reduce contaminant toxicity. Failing to recognize the potential of multiple stressor interactions to modulate contaminant toxicities can cause over- and underestimations of environmental risks.
MULTICOP is a project founded by the Norwegian Research Council, and in addition to myself consist of the following members: Jan Heuschele (UiO), Katrine Borgå (UiO), Josefin Titelman (UiO), Tom Andersen (UiO), Tjalling Jager (DEBtox Research), Renee Katrin Bechmann (NORCE).
- BIO1000, Elementary Biology: https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/ibv/nedlagte-emner/BIO1000/
- BIO1200, Biodiversity: https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/ibv/nedlagte-emner/BIO1200/index-eng.html
- BIO2100, General Ecology: https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/ibv/nedlagte-emner/BIO2100/index-eng.html
- BIO4400, Pelagic Ecology: https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/ibv/BIO4400/index-eng.html
- BIO4500, General Toxicology: https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/ibv/BIO4500/
- BIO9550/4550, Ecotoxicology: https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/ibv/nedlagte-emner/BIO4550/index-eng.html
- BIOS5411/9411, Toxicants in ecosystems and humans: effects. https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/ibv/BIOS5411/index-eng.html
- BIOS5412/9412, Toxicants in ecosystems and humans: exposure and accumulation. https://www.uio.no/studier/emner/matnat/ibv/BIOS5412/index-eng.html