My research interest is related to large-scale and complex information systems (what we like to call Information Infrastructures) - how they are evolving, how we influence them, how we can govern them, the role of their architecture and how they facilitate innovation. I have empirically studied this related to content services for mobile phones, e-commerce as well as health information systems in developing countries.
I am working with the HISP project and the DHIS2 software, focusing on architectural issues related to health information in developing countries. This involves among other issues related to functional architecting, platforms, standards and digital innovation.
I act as a Senior Editor for the Information Systems Journal (ISJ), Information Technology for Development (ITD) and the Electronic Journal of Information Systems in Developing Countries (EJISDC).
Some information relevant for PhD students here
I chaired the programme committee of the IFIP9.4 conference in 2015 in Colombo, Sri-Lanka, in Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania in 2019 and in 2021 the first virtual IFIP9.4 conference.
You find most of my papers available on Researchgate.
My PhD thesis on Information Infrastructure Building you can read here.
- IN5210 - Information Systems
Higher education and employment history
Dr. Scient from the University of Oslo. 7 years of experience working with research and business development in the international telecommunication industry
- Masoud Hussein Mahundi, "Approaches to Managing Innovation Processes on Health Information Infrastructures: A case of selected e-health innovations in Tanzania", University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, 2021.
- Patrick Albert Chikumba, "Geodata Maintenance and Collaboration in GIS Implementation in Health Sector in a Developing Country Context: The Case of DHIS2 GIS in Malawi", 2019
- Thanh Ngoc Nguyen, "Design Principles for Health Information Infrastructures in Developing Countries", 2018
- Christon Mesheck Moyo, "Transformational Feedback: Breaking the vicious cycle of information use in Health Information Systems - A case from Malawi", 2017
- Terje Aksel Sanner, "Grafting Information Infrastructure: Mobile Phone‐based Health Information System Implementations in India and Malawi", 2015
- Murodillo Latifov, "Global Standards and Local Health Information Systems Applications: Understanding their interplay in the context of Tajikistan", 2013
- Zegaye Seifu Wubishet, "Conceptualising the Governance of Free and Open Source Software Development: A Framework Based on Case Studies of Three Software Projects in Norway", 2011
- Nigussie Tadesse, "Revisiting Networking of Actions and Knowledge Transfer: An Outline of Practice and Community Based Distributed Approach For Open Source Information Systems Implementation in Developing Countries. Cases from Ethiopia", 2011
- John Lewis, "From technology for information to information for local action: the role of participatory networks from case studies in India", 2011
- Anastasia Bengtsson, "Facilitating Software Reuse: Using Design Science Research to Develop Design Principles for Implementing a Component Repository", 2021
- Håkon André Heskja, "Enabling software component reuse in enterprise software platform ecosystems: Design principles for component management systems", 2021
- Ullvar Brekke, "Utilizing principles from the theory of tailoring to meet the needs of end users in generic software", 2020
- Joakim Ikiza Amundsen, "Dashboards and information overload: Challenges and design guidelines for Health Information Management Systems in developing countries", 2019
- Stian Sandvold, "Software Requirement Management in Generic Open Source Projects: A Case Study of the Generic DHIS2 Software", 2019
- Kjetil Svalestuen, "Reappropriation of Generic Information Systems: Adapting a Generic Information System to Meet Functional Requirements from Another Domain", 2018
- Jostein Bleken Hellerud and Karl Thomas Hauglid, "A Case Study of Digital Innovation in the Online Advertising Industry in Norway", 2018
- Mathias Rove Olaussen, "The Role of Financial Information in Health Commodity Supply Chain Management in Developing Countries: A Case Study from Tanzania", 2017
- Marit Kilde Mjelva, "Benefits and Challenges of Integrating Fragmented Health Information Systems: A Case Study of the Vaccine Supply Chain in Tanzania", 2017
- Simon Jespersen, "Dashboard Design Guidelines for Improved Evidence Based Decision Making in Public Health in Developing Countries", 2017
- Sindre Kvålsgard, "En case-studie om PDS-økosystemer: Hvordan kan PDS-økosystemer løse utfordringene ved dagens persondata håndtering", 2016
- Vivek Kaul, "An Exploration of Models for Storing, Managing and Processing Personal Data in Online Environments", 2016
- Monan Yao, “Smartphone, an Evolving Payment Gateway: A Study on Mobile Payment and Related Infrastructures in Norway and China”, 2015
- Ragnhild Evensen, ”Mobile Commerce Adoption: An exploratory study of adoption requirements for the mobile commerce pre-paid service”, 2004
- Stephen Parsli, “Positioning Mobile Phones: An exploratory study of positioning technologies and Location Based Services (LBS)”, 2004
- Kamran Mohammed, “Functional challenges in replacing paper with mobile technologies: A case study of mobile information systems in the blue collar segment”, 2004
- Are Solberg, “Genres of Communication in Nomadic Work Environments: The Potential of Multimedia Messaging”, 2004