Disputation: Knut Kjetil Holgeid
Doctoral candidate Knut Kjetil Holgeid at the Department of Informatics, Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences, is defending the thesis Benefits from Investments in IT Development for the degree of Philosophiae Doctor.
The PhD defence will be partially digital, in Kristen Nygaards sal (5370), Ole-Johan Dahls hus and streamed directly using Zoom. The host of the session will moderate the technicalities while the chair of the defence will moderate the disputation.
Ex auditorio questions: the chair of the defence will invite the attending audience at Kristen Nygaards sal to ask ex auditorio questions.
- Wednesday, April 20, 2022, 10:00 Am in Zoom
- join trial lecture: "Software Effort Estimation"
Main research findings
- Our findings can enable organizations to be evidence-based when selecting management practices to achieve a higher return on investments in IT. We found a positive association with the realization of benefits when (i) organizations adopted the practices of re-estimating benefits, quantifying benefits realization, and identifying benefits beyond what is included in the initial business case; (ii) benefits had high quality descriptions, i.e., they: (a) had a clear description of what is to be achieved, (b) were measurable, (c) had people responsible for their realization, and (d) had well-founded benefits estimates; (iii) the business cases included certain types of benefits, as we found that (a) benefits planned to be realized by the project owner’s organizations were realized to a larger extent than benefits to be realized by others, (b) smaller benefits were realized to a larger extent than the larger ones, (c) non-monetized benefits were realized more than monetized ones; (iv) benefits owners had the ability to persuade and sell, had an understanding of user needs, and had a clear and powerful mandate. We also provide evidence of how activities to improve functionality to the end-user positively relate to the adoption of benefits management practices and the realization of benefits.
- Professor Emilia Mendes, Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden
- Professor Bjørnar Tessem, University of Bergen, Norway
- Professor Paulo Ferreira, University of Oslo, Department of informatics Norway
- Professor Dag Sjøberg, Department of Informatics, UiO
- Professor Magne Jørgensen, Department of Informatics, UiO
Chair of defence
Candidate contact information: Professor Stephan Oepen
Contact information to Department: Mozhdeh Sheibani Harat