University of Oslo (2016-), Oslo Norway
- PhD Candidate (2016-2020)
- UDFeed project coordinator (2017-2019)
- Member of the Advisory Board - UiODoc (2018-)'
- Program Committee Member - Research Bazaar (2018-2019)
- Reviewer - NordiCHI, CSCW, ACHI (2018)
- NordiCHI SV chair - responsible for recruitment of SV's (2018)
- Deputy Representative - University of Oslo Central Electoral Board (vara) (August 2018- Juli 2019) / Representanter for de midlertidig vitenskapelig ansatte i det sentrale valgstyret
- Member of the Executive Committee Board UiODoc - Secretary of the Executive Commitee (May 2017-May 2018)
- Member of the National Association of Doctoral Organizations in Norway (Stipendiatorganisajonena i Norge) (May 2017 - April 2018)
Projects and research:
- Multimodal Elderly Care Systems (MECS), focus on safety alarm robot for the elderly, Sense-of-Coherence Theory and Ageing Well, and parts of SDG3. My research here is influenced by Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Human-Robot Interaction (HRI), and Computer-Supportive-Cooperative Work (CSCW) fields.
- Universal Design - Learning and Instruction (UDFeed), focus on Socio-Materiality Theory, and parts of SDG3 and SDG4. My research here is influenced by Human-Computer Interaction (HCI) and Computer-Supportive-Cooperative Work (CSCW)/Computer-Supportive-Cooperative-Learning (CSCL) fields.
- Best Paper Award, ACHI - IARIA (2018)
- Best Student Award, Kristianstad University, Sweden (2013)
- Best Student Award, Kristianstad University, Sweden (2009-2012)
- UN Student Association member, Oslo (2018), focus on SDG4
- Member of the Executive Committee - Program Associate, Global Women in Tech (GWiT) (2017-), focus on SDG5
- Herstad, J., Saplacan, D. (2019), UDFeed report on Universal Design in Higher Education (Department of Informatics)
- UiODoc Annual report (2018) - As part of the UiODoc Advisory Board during 2018-2019, I contributed with the information in the report on the following: Notes during the Dinner with Representatives in 2018, Notes from the Public Lecture on 2030 SDG Agenda: Achievements and Challenges with Amina Mohammed (Deputy Secretary General of the United Nations and former Minister of Environment of Nigeria), Response to a Hearing during 2018 - written together with Yasemin Nurcan Hacioglu.
- UiODoc Annual report (2017) - I was the main responsible for the report, but written it together with my colleagues at the time from the UiODoc board executive committee.
Cross-disciplinary collaborations at UiO:
- Co-organized the workshop together with colleagues from the Educational Department at University of Oslo, and OsloMet the workshop entitled: Inclusion through Design and Use of Digital Learning Environments: Issues, Methods and Stories, at NordiCHI 2018, which one of the most prestigious conferences within HCI field. My main responsibility was the recruitment of participants, coordination of work, and the preparation work prior the workshop. The workshop got an invitation to hold a special issue in IXD Journal.
- Granted application to International Summer School on Computer Supported Cooperative Work (2019), Italy: Foundations, Methods, and Technologies - upcoming
Kristianstad University (2013-), Kristianstad, Sweden
- Lecturer in Computer Science (2013-)
- Project facilitator and Demola representative at Kristianstad University (2014) - cross-disciplinary project
- Linnaeus-Palme - design of exchange programme - Kristianstad University - Ubaya University, Surabaya, Indonesia (September, 2016)
- World Summit on Information Society (WSIS) @ITU, Geneva,Switzerland (May, 2016)
- ABI.local Amsterdam @Google, Amsterdam, Netherlands (April, 2016)
Part of the following research projects:
- JoyTalk (2012-2014)
- Smart House (2013-)
- Interactive Smart Home (2013-)
- Smart solutions for people with disabilities (PTS project) (2016) - in collaboration with Usify and Evothings
- HKr Sweden-Demola Oulu Finland (2015-2016) - ZEF
- HKr-Mobile Heights (2015-)
- Active Ageing (Vinnova project) (2014-2016)
- Universal Design for Learning (2016)
Some of the media apparitions:
- Uniforum debate, Why is it important to vote?, 23.05.2019 (Available in Swedish and English)
- IT-kanalen, Brännande behov av kvinnor inom tech, 26.05.2016
- Kristianstad University, MyNewsDesk, Brännande behov av vvinnor inom tech
- Hässleholms Kommun, Utbilda dig i Hässleholm och ta en rejält kliv mot arbetsmarknaden, s.2.
For more positions, outside of academia, please visit my Linkedin webpage.
Extra curriculum courses that were taken so far:
- IT Project Management - Malmö University (7.5 ECTS), DA367A
- Leadership and coaching - a modern way of tutoring - Uppsala University (7.5 ECTS), 1TG208
- Individuals and Teams in Projects, Karlstad University (7.5 ECTS), PLGA03
- Personal and Professional Development, Kristianstad University (7.5 ECTS), PA1580
- Time Management for Personal and Professional Productivity-University of California, Irvine, Coursera
ICT and pedagogy for dual mode and distributed courses - Kristianstad University (7.5 ECTS), PE1952
Teaching and Learning in Higher Education - Kristianstad University (7.5 ECTS), PE1982
Main pedagogical course for PhD's and PostDocs/Fellesdelen for stipendiater og postdocs, University of Oslo, 2017
Problem based learning/ problembasert læring/ problembaserad lärande, UiO, 2017
NABC - 5 Disciplines of Innovation (5DOI) - ALMI Företagspartner Sweden, licensed by Stanford Research Institute International
Participatory Action Research - Kristianstad University (3 ECTS - Research Level)
Participatory Research - Mälardalen University - focus on technology for the elderly (7.5 ECTS - Research Level)
C#, Kristianstad University (7.5 ECTS), DA5621
- Newaz, Fahd & Saplacan, Diana (2018). Exploring the role of feedback on trust for the robots used in homes of the elderly, In Tone Bratteteig & Frode Eika Sandnes (ed.), NordiCHI '18 - Proceedings of the 10th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Oslo, Norway — September 29 - October 03, 2018. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). ISBN 978-1-4503-6437-9. Robots and autonomous things. s 681 - 685 Show summary
- Saplacan, Diana & Herstad, Jo (2018). Fear, Feedback, Familiarity… How are These Connected? – Can familiarity as a design concept applied to digital feedback reduce fear?, In ThinkMind, Digital World 2018, ACHI 2018, The Eleventh International Conference on Advances in Computer-Human Interactions. ThinkMind, Technische Informationsbibliothek (TIB) - German National Library of Science and Technology. ISBN 978-1-61208-616-3. -. s 171 - 179
- Saplacan, Diana; Herstad, Jo; Elsrud, Marthe & Pajalic, Zada (2018). Reflections on using Story-Dialogue Method in a workshop with interaction design students, In Barbara Rita Baricelli; Gerard Fischer; Daniela Fogli; Anders Mørch; Antonio Piccinno & Stefano Valtolina (ed.), Cultures of Participation in the Digital Age: Proceedings of the Fifth International Workshop on Cultures of Participation in the Digital Age: Design Trade-offs for an Inclusive Society co-located with the International Conference on Advanced Visual Interfaces (AVI 2018). CEUR Workshop Proceedings. Design Trade-Offs in Education. s 34 - 43 Show summary
- Saplacan, Diana; Herstad, Jo; Mørch, Anders Irving; Kluge, Anders & Pajalic, Zada (2018). Inclusion through design and use of digital learning environments: issues, methods and stories, In Tone Bratteteig & Frode Eika Sandnes (ed.), NordiCHI '18 - Proceedings of the 10th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction, Oslo, Norway — September 29 - October 03, 2018. Association for Computing Machinery (ACM). ISBN 978-1-4503-6437-9. Workshops. s 956 - 959 Show summary
- Saplacan, Diana; Herstad, Jo & Pajalic, Zada (2018). Feedback from Digital Systems Used in Higher Education: An Inquiry into Triggered Emotions - Two Universal Design Oriented Solutions for a Better User Experience, In Gerald Craddock; Cormac Doran; Larry McNutt & Dónal Rice (ed.), Transforming our World Through Design, Diversity and Education. IOS Press. ISBN 978-1-61499-922-5. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics. s 421 - 430 Show summary
- Einarson, Daniel & Saplacan, Diana (2017). Addressing Integrated Learning through Project-Based Courses - Five Years of Improvements, In The 13th International CDIO Conference Proceedings. CDIO Initiative. ISBN 978-0-88953-399-8. 20. s 161 - 171
- Saplacan, Diana & Herstad, Jo (2017). A Quadratic Anthropocentric Perspective on Feedback - Using Proxemics as a Framework, In Lynn Hall; Tom Flint; Suzy O’Hara & Phil Turner (ed.), Proceedings of the 31st International BCS Human Computer Interaction Conference (HCI 2017). British Computer Society (BCS). ISBN 9781906124045. 1. Show summary
- Einarson, Daniel & Saplacan, Diana (2016). A proposal of learning outcomes for work integrated learning, based on 2D-evaluation methods, In Lärarlärdom 2016: Högskolan Kristianstad. Kristianstad University Press 2016. ISBN 0000000000. Conference article. s 70 - 85 Show summary
- Einarson, Daniel & Saplacan, Diana (2016). The Active Ageing approach to quality of life for elderly people through order and distribution chains, In Proceedings of the International Conference on Computation System and Information Technology for Sustainable Solutions (CSITSS). IEEE Xplore. ISBN 978-1-5090-1022-6. -.
- Saplacan, Diana; Einarson, Daniel & Silvén, Pekka (2016). Approaching work-integrated learning through learning outcomes and evaluations, In Jerker Björkqvist; Kristina Edström; Ronald J. Hugo; Juha Kontio; Janne Roslöf; Rick Sellens & Seppo Virtanen (ed.), Proceedings of the 12th International CDIO Conference. Turku University of Applied Sciences. ISBN 978-952-216-610-4. 144. s 722 - 732
- Saplacan, Diana & Einarson, Daniel (2014). A participatory action research approach to developing assistive technologies for people suffering from cognitive disorders, In Proceedings of the 6th Living Knowledge Conference. Center for Design, Innovation and Sustainable Transitions Aalborg University Copenhagen. ISBN 978-87-93053-01-4. -. s 281 - 292
- Saplacan, Diana (2018). Fear, Feedback, Familiarity… How are These Connected?.
- Saplacan, Diana (2018). Reflections on using Story-Dialogue Method in a workshop with interaction design students.
- Saplacan, Diana & Herstad, Jo (2017). A Quadratic Anthropocentric Perspective on Feedback – Using Proxemics as a Framework.
- Saplacan, Diana (2017). (Re-)Framing my research.
- Saplacan, Diana (2017). MECS (Design) - Reporting on behalf of MECS.
- Saplacan, Diana (2017). Supporting lifelong learning through feedback and universal design.
- Saplacan, Diana; Schulz, Trenton Wade & Herstad, Jo (2017). MECS Status Report - An explorative instrumental study about having a vacuum cleaner robot in home – learnings more about a safety alarm robot for the elderly.
- Saplacan, Diana; Schulz, Trenton Wade; Søyseth, Vegard Dønnem; Søyland, Magnus & Tørresen, Jim (2017). MECS presentasjon.
- Rimfors, Fabian & Saplacan, Diana (2016, 20. mai). Brännande behov av kvinnor inom tech. [Internett]. Kristianstad, Sweden.
- Rimfors, Fabian & Saplacan, Diana (2016, 17. oktober). Brännande behov av kvinnor inom tech. [Internett]. Kristianstad, Sweden.
- Rimfors, Fabian & Saplacan, Diana (2016, 23. mai). Brännande behov av kvinnor inom tech - Diana Saplacan testar mobil som virtual reality-glasögon i Genève. IT Pedagogen.
- Saplacan, Diana (2016). A study-case on a project course: seminars, project, feedback and reflections in the context of a student's active learning, In Lärarlärdom 2016: Högskolan Kristianstad. Kristianstad University Press 2016. ISBN 0000000000. Abstract. s 17.08.2017 - 17.08.2017
- Saplacan, Diana (2016). A study-case on a project course: seminars, project, feedback and reflections in the context of a student's active learning.
- Saplacan, Diana; Einarson, Daniel & Thelander, Jeanette (2016, 15. august). I en värld av Internet-of-Things. [Internett]. Kristianstad University.
- Saplacan, Diana & Teljega, Marijana (2016). How to increase the students' degree of involvment and participation in project based courses?, In Charlotte Silander (ed.), Proceedings of Lärarlärdom: Conference on higher education. Växjö: Linnaeus University, Faculty of Social Sciences (FSV), Pedagogical Institution. ISBN 978-91-88357-08-3. -. s 182 - 211 Show summary
- Saplacan, Diana & Einarson, Daniel (2014). A Participatory Action Research Approach to Developing Assistive Technologies for People Suffering from Cognitive Disorders.
- Saplacan, Diana & Einarson, Daniel (2014). The JoyTalk approach to participatory studies on communicative and cognitive disorders.
- Malmsjö, Caroline & Saplacan, Diana (2012, 01. november). Utbilda dig i Hässleholm - och ta ett rejält kliv till arbetsmarknaden. [Internett]. Hässlelhom, Sweden.
- Saplacan, Diana (2012). The JoyTalk Approach.