As an ecotoxicologist my research focuses on understanding mechanisms and processes for contaminant distribution, accumulation and effects in the environment. This includes the influence of food web ecology, migration, life history traits, and biogeochemistry on (re)distribution of contaminants in the context of a changing climate. It also includes how climate change and other stressors affect the organism's response to contaminant exposure.
Research in the Borgå research group is oriented towards understanding processes of bioaccumulation in Arctic, temperate and tropical marine food webs, and effects of multiple stressors on life history traits, both in field and in lab. Chemicals of interest include both legacy and emerging contaminants, including neonicotinoids and substances from electronic waste. See links to current projects for further info.
Current PhD projects
Sabrina Schultze: Sabrina studies the effect of terrestrial dissolved organic matter in combination with toxicants on coastal marine zooplankton.
Silje Marie Kristansen: Silje studies how life history traits in springtails are shaped by climatic variables, while also exposed to increased stress by an anthropogenic pollutant (neonicotinoids) as a part of the project MULTICLIM.
- Andvik, Clare Margaret; Jourdain, Eve; Lyche, Jan Ludvig; Karoliussen, Richard & Borgå, Katrine (2021). High Levels of Legacy and Emerging Contaminants in Killer Whales (Orcinus orca) from Norway, 2015 to 2017. Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry. ISSN 0730-7268. 40(7), s 1850- 1860 . doi: 10.1002/etc.5064 Show summary
- Gopakumar, Anjali; Giebichenstein, Julia; Raskhozheva, Evgeniia & Borgå, Katrine (2021). Mercury in Barents Sea fish in the Arctic polar night: Species and spatial comparison. Marine Pollution Bulletin. ISSN 0025-326X. 169 . doi: 10.1016/j.marpolbul.2021.112501
- Haarr, Ane; Mwakalapa, Eliezer B; Mmochi, Aviti J; Lyche, Jan L; Ruus, Anders; Othman, Halima; Larsen, Martin M. & Borgå, Katrine (2021). Seasonal rainfall affects occurrence of organohalogen contaminants in tropical marine fishes and prawns from Zanzibar, Tanzania. Science of the Total Environment. ISSN 0048-9697. 774 . doi: 10.1016/j.scitotenv.2021.145652 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Knudtzon, Nina C; Thorstensen, Helene; Ruus, Anders; Helberg, Morten; Bæk, Kine; Enge, Ellen Katrin & Borgå, Katrine (2021). Maternal transfer and occurrence of siloxanes, chlorinated paraffins, metals, PFAS and legacy POPs in herring gulls (Larus argentatus) of different urban influence. Environment International. ISSN 0160-4120. 152 . doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2021.106478 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Midthaug, Hilde Karin; Hitchcock, Daniel James; Bustnes, Jan Ove; Polder, Anuschka; Descamps, Sebastien; Tarroux, Arnaud; Soininen, Eeva M & Borgå, Katrine (2021). Within and between breeding-season changes in contaminant occurrence and body condition in the Antarctic breeding south polar skua. Environmental Pollution (1987). ISSN 0269-7491. 284, s 1- 9 . doi: 10.1016/j.envpol.2021.117434 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Ruus, Anders; Allan, Ian J; Bæk, Kine & Borgå, Katrine (2021). Partitioning of persistent hydrophobic contaminants to different storage lipid classes. Chemosphere. ISSN 0045-6535. 263 . doi: 10.1016/j.chemosphere.2020.127890 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Andvik, Clare Margaret; Jourdain, Eve; Ruus, Anders; Lyche, Jan Ludvig; Karoliussen, Richard & Borgå, Katrine (2020). Preying on seals pushes killer whales from Norway above pollution effects thresholds. Scientific Reports. ISSN 2045-2322. 10 . doi: 10.1038/s41598-020-68659-y Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Knudtzon, Nina Cathrine; Thorstensen, Helene; Ruus, Anders; Helberg, Morten; Bæk, Kine; Enge, Ellen Katrin & Borgå, Katrine (2021). Maternal Transfer and Occurrence of Siloxanes, Chlorinated Paraffins and Legacy POPs in Herring Gulls (Larus argentatus) of Different Urban Influence.
- Kroglund, Ingvild Buran; Ciesielski, Tomasz Maciej; Østnes, Jan Eivind; Borgå, Katrine & Jaspers, Veerle (2021). Metals and other elements in adult and nestling tawny owls from central Norway.
- Giebichenstein, Julia; Gopakumar, Anjali; Varpe, Øystein; Andersen, Tom; Gabrielsen, Geir W. & Borgå, Katrine (2020). Seasonal Variation of Mercury in an Arctic Marine Food Web.