DEEP members discussing writing at the Writing retreat in February 2020. Photo: Mathew Stiller-Reef.
DEEP offers intensive courses, workshops and research and travel grants. DEEP also arranges a General Assembly once a year.
Want to register as a member or associate to participate in our activities? Follow this link
Every year DEEP invites all members to our General Assembly. This is an opportunity for practicing research outreach and networking.
DEEPs virtual PhD Day 2020:
University intensive courses
The courses listed below are offered as DEEP official courses. If you are a DEEP PhD member and accepted to follow any of these courses, we cover travel and living costs if you have to travel to participate.
University of Oslo
- GEO-DEEP9100 - Planetary Physics and Global Tectonics
- GEO-DEEP9200 - Deep Earth and Planetary Mineralogy and Dynamics
- GEO-DEEP9300 - Lithosphere and Asthenosphere: Composition and Evolution
- GEO-DEEP9400 - Solid Earth – Fluid Earth Interaction
- GEO-DEEP9500 - Special topics on Dynamics and Evolution of the Earth and Planets
For the DEEP courses offered at UiO you apply by filling out an online application form. The form will be made available through the links above in good time before the course is taught. If you lack a study right at UiO, you will be able to apply for a visiting PhD study right in the same form.
University of Tromsø
You have to apply officially through UiT within 1 December to take part in their courses as a visiting PhD student. PhD students with UiT registeres as normal through StudentWeb.
University of Bergen
You have to apply officially through UiB to take part in their courses as a visiting PhD student. DEEP will assist in this prosess. PhD students with UiB registeres as normal through StudentWeb.
As a PhD student you have limited courses to attend that are specifically designed to fit your interests, your project and the skills that you need to complete your PhD. DEEP wants to offer courses that give each and every one of our PhD students the education they need.
Courses-on-Demand have four calls each year. PhD students within DEEP can apply to get their needed course funded by applying within the deadlines:
- 15 February
- 15 May
- 15 August
- 15 November
DEEP will offer topical seminars/workshops every year through the seminar series GEO-DEEP9500 covering frontier topics related to the DEEP themes.
Outreach and soft skill workshops
The following courses and workshops are planned:
DEEP method course: Introduction to MATLAB, 16 - 19 November 2020
Workshops offered earlier:
- Virtual writing retreat - a community for efficient and improved writing, 12 - 30 October 2020
- Online Scientific Teaching seminar, 25 - 28 May 2020
- DEEPs virtual writing retreat, 23 March - 10 April 2020
- DEEP Writing retreat, 24 - 28 February 2020
Science Communication – Creating Scientific Illustrations, 28-31 January 2020
Method course: Matlab, 28 - 31 October 2019
Method course: Python, 1 - 5 April 2019, Oslo
Creating Scientific Illustrations, 18 - 22 March 2019, Oslo
Creating Scientific Illustrations, 11 - 15 February 2019, Bergen
Writing course: Better together, 4 - 6 February 2018, Bergen
Nature Masterclass: High-level writing course, 6 - 7 September, Isegran Fort, Fredrikstad
- Workshop: Writing for Scholars, 22 - 23 February and 22 - 23 March 2018
- Seminar for PhD supervisors,19 February
- Course in Science Communication, 24 - 26 January 2018
- Your academic career: Building your academic CV and writing successful project proposals, June 2017
- Workshop: Writing for Scholars, January 2017
- Mentor day, October 2016